What's new

Pre-Order Reservoir Dogs (1992) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right. Great explanation. This is a very gritty film with a transfer that doesn't match it.

This is the first time I have seen this film in years and it remains one of Tarantino's finest. What I appreciated about watching it is that it shows just how damn good he is at writing dialogue.

When you think about it, this is more a dialogue-driven than an action film. Normally, I would hate a film like that. However, it's written so well that you can't help but bask in it all.
Well, it's an interesting movie to say the least. The 4K disc looked beautiful on my OLED as I don't have any idea what it looked like on a big screen. Therefore, I defer to those that do know what it supposed to look like.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Right. Great explanation. This is a very gritty film with a transfer that doesn't match it.

I haven't seen the UHD yet and can't comment on it, but I will say that Reservoir Dogs never had a "gritty" look like some of you may think it should. Yes, the movie was a low-budget production, but it was shot mostly in a single tightly-controlled environment (very few exteriors or natural light) with a very high-contrast, hard lighting style. The movie was sharp, low grain, and had intense colors in the theater.

Andrzej Sekula lit the hell out of that warehouse. The heat must have been nearly unbearable in there. I bet the actors needed to be mopped down between takes.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I haven't seen the UHD yet and can't comment on it, but I will say that Reservoir Dogs never had a "gritty" look like some of you may think it should. Yes, the movie was a low-budget production, but it was shot mostly in a single tightly-controlled environment (very few exteriors or natural light) with a very high-contrast, hard lighting style. The movie was sharp, low grain, and had intense colors in the theater.

Andrzej Sekula lit the hell out of that warehouse. The heat must have been nearly unbearable in there. I bet the actors needed to be mopped down between takes.

Well, being that is the case, then there shouldn't be any complaints about the 4k presentation as it sounds like it represents the director's intent.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Well that would explain why everyone looks like a celt who has spent too much time in the sun in this transfer.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Nice guy Eddie " so you don't believe in ever tipping huh?'"
Mr.Pink " not unless the waitress does something special.Like smiles real pretty at me.you know,I don't just care about money.
I do have a romantic side'
Nice guy Eddie slaps Mr Pink on the back and says I guess you are just a softie'
Mr Pink looks down at the table and grins shyly
Joe 'ok ramblers lets get rambling.Lets walk thu the parking lot to our cars in slow motion'

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Well that would explain why everyone looks like a celt who has spent too much time in the sun in this transfer.
:D
Kidding aside the issue persists in all scenes and no previous home video version looked like that nor is there any documentation pointing out that they went for the red face look on that one.

Here are an outdoor and diner scene that are also affected, note the previous version having rather natural colors when taking into account the dated transfer:

Oh well, looks like there is room for some kind of special edition in the future...

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
:D
Kidding aside the issue persists in all scenes and no previous home video version looked like that nor is there any documentation pointing out that they went for the red face look on that one.

Here are an outdoor and diner scene that are also affected, note the previous version having rather natural colors when taking into account the dated transfer:

Oh well, looks like there is room for some kind of special edition in the future...

Looking only at flesh tones, the older transfer may seem to have natural colors, but everything else is super drab.

That said, I will agree with you that these two examples seem to have a red push in the UHD screenshots. However, given how problematic downconverting HDR and Wide Color Gamut into an SDR screenshot can be, I'd still need to see how the disc actually looks on my projector before casting judgment.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Looking only at flesh tones, the older transfer may seem to have natural colors, but everything else is super drab.

That said, I will agree with you that these two examples seem to have a red push in the UHD screenshots. However, given how problematic downconverting HDR and Wide Color Gamut into an SDR screenshot can be, I'd still need to see how the disc actually looks on my projector before casting judgment.
Josh-

I have watched the disc in Dolby Vision, and I can confirm those screenshots are generally accurate. Everyone looks sunburnt in the UHD transfer, and all the characters look like they should be named "Mr. Pink." It's persistent throughout the entire film, and it's distracting once you pick up on it.

I know from contemporary interviews at the film's release that Tarantino wanted the reds to "pop," so it's possible the entire film was deliberately given a red push in this transfer. I also seem to recall that the original, non-anamorphic DVD had similar reddish fleshtones that were toned down in subsequent video releases. So, I am not saying definitively that the transfer is botched. I personally just don't like the look of it very much.

cda1143

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Kyle - just trying to clarify whether or not you prefer the blu-ray. Without disagreeing with your assessment on the skin tones, I still find this release to be far better than the blu-ray.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Kyle - just trying to clarify whether or not you prefer the blu-ray. Without disagreeing with your assessment on the skin tones, I still find this release to be far better than the blu-ray.
Not Kyle but the old Blu-ray is hideous so I doubt you will find anybody in this thread who prefers the old Blu-ray.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Also haven't seen it yet but the BD caps look very similar so that seems to be accurate.
When looking at those caps it is nice to see a bit of an uptick in detail over the new Blu-ray in a few caps like for example this one, especially the chroma:

But it also shows that the new Blu-ray looks more natural. Looks like they overdid it with the sharpening in order to differentiate the UHD from the regular Blu-ray.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I would take the UHD over the Blu-ray in a second. As mentioned in my initial post it this thread, it's a massive improvement. The Blu-ray is borderline unwatchable on a modern display.

Setting skin tones and potential transfer issues aside, I'm just not much of a fan of the film's cinematography. Sekula made some, ahem, "choices" in terms of lighting, lenses, and film stock that, IMO, don't fit the narrative at all, and it's not surprising to me that he has spent most of his career since Pulp Fiction lensing low budget/DTV actioneers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamywaby
Recent bookmarks