What's new

replacing/upgrading subwoofer speaker in original box (1 Viewer)

oranges325

Auditioning
Real Name
vincent dea
Hi all,

So I have an REL Q201e subwoofer that I bought used. There's some buzzing sounds and rattling type sound to it. When I lightly press on the sub, the buzzing stops and the sub sounds amazing. Not sure what it is causing the problem, even after taking the driver or to take a look.

After taking the driver out to see what's wrong. I've concluded that the driver is just old ( apparently this was a known issue on this model. )

From taking the driver out the amp still looks like it's still in very good condition. Since the amp is in good condition still, is it possible to change out the driver and use the REL amp to power it? The driver I was thinking about was the Dayton Audio RSS265HO-4 10" reference HO subwoofer 4 ohm.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-462

I plan to use the same box and everything else just changing out the driver. Is it a true Plug and Play situation? Has anyone done this before? Is it worth doing? Or am I better off selling it for whatever I can? What are my options?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
is it possible to change out the driver and use the REL amp to power it?
Short answer yes you can change out the driver if you like. Long answer you need to be sure of the ohm rating of the driver so that you can match it with the new one. You also need to check the driver to see if it will work in that enclosure. Will the airspace be enough or too much? It's a sealed box so you don't have to worry about the port but there is more to it than just dropping a driver in the box if you want it to preform correctly.

Is it a true Plug and Play situation?
See above but not really.

Has anyone done this before? Is it worth doing? Or am I better off selling it for whatever I can? What are my options?
I have done this before on a few occasions. Is it worth doing...well that depends. My results were very good and I got what I considered an upgrade out of the deal. If the amp and enclosure are still good why not give it a try. Just take your time picking the correct driver to go into the box. I don't know what you paid for the sub but you could end up with a very nice sub if you pick the right driver. Just looking at the specs of the sub it seems like that original driver was quite nice. I would imagine you would have to put something back into it as good or better than the stock to get the same results.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks