What's new

Replace whole HTIB or just receiver & subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

AnnCs

Auditioning
Real Name
Ann
I have a 5.1 home theater setup that, either I put together myself or have replaced some parts over the years. The speakers are Boston Micro80x II. The AV receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR500. I THINK we bought this stuff around 2002.

The subwoofer pooped out about 6 months ago. Now the receiver periodically pops and turns itself off. So far, it always turns back on. I assume, though, that its days are numbered.

We're very happy with the remaining speakers. They have a tiny footprint and sound fine for TV and the CDs we play.

So, I am wondering if I can replace just the receiver and subwoofer? Or should I replace the whole system? Are the small speakers likely to fail also?

We're not serious audiophiles. Just want decent sound.

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

AnnCs

Auditioning
Real Name
Ann
Those Boston 80x are compatible with every AVR ever made. And will ever be made.

Replace your sub and AVR.
Thanks for responding so quickly! So they're not likely to crap out in the near future, even though they're 12 years old? I THINK they're passive devices, so maybe less likely to fail?

Salacious Ackbar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
Yes, you should be fine to replace just the receiver and subwoofer. The speakers should last longer and if you're content with them, keep them, though if you have the funds, I would upgrade the entire system.

AnnCs

Auditioning
Real Name
Ann
Yes, you should be fine to replace just the receiver and subwoofer. The speakers should last longer and if you're content with them, keep them, though if you have the funds, I would upgrade the entire system.
Thanks! I don't think I'd want to spend more than $1,000 - $1,500 for a new HTIB set. At that price, I'd imagine the new speakers probably wouldn't be much better, if at all.

Salacious Ackbar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
Thanks! I don't think I'd want to spend more than $1,000 - $1,500 for a new HTIB set. At that price, I'd imagine the new speakers probably wouldn't be much better, if at all.

Of for that price, you could do very well.

Pioneer VSX 530 5.1 Receiver - $200 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0141JVEHS
BIC DV64 Towers - $260/pair http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Venturi-DV64-Speaker/dp/B00011KLOI/
BIC DV-62CLRS Center -$105 http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV-62CLRS-Channel-Speaker/dp/B00009WBYL/
BIC D62-3LCR Surround - $220/pair http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-250-RMSSpeaker-D62-3LCR/dp/B00B6LIN24/
BIC F12 Subwoofer - $240 http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M/

Total - $1,025 + tax

You could go for a better receiver too, but that Pioneer is quite good, especially for the money. But either way, this kind of setup would blow away those tiny satellite's. Don't waste your time with a HTiB.

AnnCs

Auditioning
Real Name
Ann
Thanks! Actually, the tiny satellites are exactly what I want. I don't want the TV and speakers to be the focus of our family room. Unless we're watching it, the TV is hidden away in an entertainment armoire and the speakers have a very small footprint. I will look into the receiver and subwoofer that you recommended. I appreciate your taking the time to respond!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
You would be surprised what you could do with that budget. Are you even interested in replacing your current speaker system? It sounds like you're happy with the it so you could just do a new AVR and sub.

Are you limited on space/size with the sub? There's no point it looking at a large sub if you want something that's on the compact side.

Salacious Ackbar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
Thanks! Actually, the tiny satellites are exactly what I want. I don't want the TV and speakers to be the focus of our family room. Unless we're watching it, the TV is hidden away in an entertainment armoire and the speakers have a very small footprint. I will look into the receiver and subwoofer that you recommended. I appreciate your taking the time to respond!

Then why ask about upgrading speakers if you are satisfied with what you have?

AnnCs

Auditioning
Real Name
Ann
I wasn't sure if I should worry about the existing satellites wearing out in the next few years since two other components had crapped out. Since the general consensus is that they should last awhile, I will just replace the AV receiver & get a small to medium subwoofer.

AnnCs

Auditioning
Real Name
Ann
I'd love recommendations!

As I mentioned in OP, we're not really audiophiles. Just want an AV receiver that is easy to see (we're 50+ so the eyes aren't what they used to be!) & use. We want decent sound but only watch TV or listen to music a few times a week.

To me, hiding the subwoofer away is more important than shaking the room. Ideally, I'd like small one that can fit under end table.. The old one did. I think it was maybe a cube about 16" each dimension.

Thanks!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Here are some options I would look at.

AVR - Pick one
  • Denon AVR-S710W $430new/$320 refurb I like this one because it fits your budget, has a refurb option, and has Audyssey built in.
  • Denon AVR-S510BT $260 new/$220 refurb - basic 5.1 AVR at a great price with decent features.
Sub - Pick one (I just picked a few there are a lot of good choices)

AnnCs

Auditioning
Real Name
Ann
Here are some options I would look at.

AVR - Pick one
  • Denon AVR-S710W $430new/$320 refurb I like this one because it fits your budget, has a refurb option, and has Audyssey built in.
  • Denon AVR-S510BT $260 new/$220 refurb - basic 5.1 AVR at a great price with decent features.
Sub - Pick one (I just picked a few there are a lot of good choices)
Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.