What's new

replace bulbs for dlp rptvs? (1 Viewer)

Hal_J

Agent
caught a glimpse of a smaller and more affordable dlp rptv this past weekend. dont quote me, but i think it was a 42" samsung and cost 3999. we were at frys, and they had it off in the weeds. it was the best looking thing in the whole store.

so i was having lunch with a friend yesterday and i told him about it, and how i didnt want a projector cause i didnt want to foot the bill for bulb replacement every 1500 hours or whatever it is, but i really liked the tv i saw. he said, 'but dont you have a bulb that needs to be replaced in a dlp rptv?'

i hadnt thought about that at all. is it the case? it this also true for the lcd ones? what is the light source anyway?

forgive me if this is elementary. i do not recall seeing it discussed here before.

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, bulbs would need to be replaced as well. I believe the rating is 8k hours. I having been trying to gather info on this new tech as well both from this board and avsforum. The sets do look really good from what I have heard. But, I have yet to see one of these live in the flesh. I saw an LCD set at CC and there was a ton of pixelation on whatever feed it had. I am not sure of the maintainence required for an LCD set.

If I had the 4k right now, I would seriously consider on of the ED Plasma sets. St. Patrick Day sale at a well respected website and the 42" Panny can be had for 3.5k including shipping. Saw several of these recently and the really nice (IMO). Plus, it has the appropriate WAF...

MarkDesMarais

Stunt Coordinator
Current quote for that Samsung bulb is around $250. Limited availability is probably keeping it there. Seems like most people expect it to drop to the $200 range once the pipeline is set up.

Markd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks