TV Recommendation, ANY TECH (and Samsung DLP)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chao, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Chao

Chao Auditioning

RPTVs in general (CRT, DLP, LCoS etc.), Plasma, Projection, Direct View.

A budget is not really a problem, but obviously I'd like as low as possible. But not excessive. Lets say a 6500 dollar cap. But that is flexible... just a reference what I'd like to stay under.

Now, I have taken a real interest to the Samsung 61" RPTV DLP TV. Or a permutation thereof (coming out in may or june?). A link can be found here. It is a nice set from what I can see... opinions?

My general reservations and concerns I have heard about various technologies are;

DLP

-"Rainbow Effect"
    -Light Blacks

Plasma

-Burn-In
    -Contrast and color definition

CRT/Conventional

-outdated tech
    -definition and clarity may be inferior

Front Projection

-blub life

LCoS

-Inputs
    -Size
    -Future upgrades

These are just samplings of some of the thoughts through my mind.

Now the TV I really lust for, is the Toshiba LCoS. This streets for around 6500... although I would like bigger than 57". Does Toshiba plan to introduce a larger version, or any other company with a similar technology?

Either that, or a Mitsu 73" beast, although it is CRT.

Besides the opinions on the specific TVs, I am basically asking for thoughts on all the technolgies and possibly, for my needs (described below), a ranking of all the technologies.

I need something that is halfway practical. I'd like to watch TV on it, high def content mostly. I do watch a substantial amount of the news (DAMN THAT CNN LOGO!!), so I guess burn in is a concern? I also want something with longevity. That's where the FP fails, I have heard the bulbs are gone after a couple of hours and can cost a hundred bucks a replacement. In addition, I want the highest fidelity possible.

Thank you for your help, and I look foward to posting here in the future!

2. KevinFC

KevinFC Stunt Coordinator

For longevity the DLP or LCOS IMO would fit your bill. But if you found the Tosh LCOS for 6500...i want to know where [​IMG]! I have seen them at CES and 6500 is a great price. You can not find a 57" plasma with that good of a picture for 6500! If size is what you want then go for the Mits or the Sammy both sets are very nice. I am big on the DLP's :b, but after looking at the tosh at CES for a third time the picture is the best I have seen yet IMHO. Its just the 4 screws at each corner of the screen that bugs me but 1080p is nothing to sneeze at in the world of longevity or picture quality. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

3. Chao

Chao Auditioning

bump

4. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

I am on my third week with the NEC HT1000 front projector. Its DLP, I paid $4200 for it. I see no rainbows and I intend to extend bulb life by not using it as my main tv. As soon as I ordered it, I upgraded to a high def cable box and bought my first dvd player (I'm just not big on read only media). Just to learn the device, I am using it more than intended right now, but it is so nice to have the best picture I could possibly imagine projecting on a mere white wall in my living room above the fireplace and seeing movies or high def tv in a 85 inch diagonal. I'm sold on my dlp front projector!!! If I ever break down and buy or make a screen, I'll have a 90 inch diagonal.I am not yet convinced that I'll ever buy a screen!