1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for tall, sliver speakers that are actually good!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RichardH, Nov 17, 2003.

1. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

My roommate is putting together a home theater system, and he's started with a killer Samsung 50" DLP. Now for the audio. He really likes the look of these speakers because they match the TV so well:

[​IMG]

But, he does want good sound. I have recommended the following setup based on recommendations I've received here:

JBL NSP1 II
    Dayton 10" powered sub
    Onkyo receiver

He's willing to go with that, but if we could find something that looked more like those tall, slender, silver speakers, it would be great.

I know there's some new Definitive Tech. speakers that fit the bill perfectly, but they're way more he's looking to spend.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Sounds like your friend is WAF'd to death. Hahahah! I crack me up. [​IMG]

Good looks does not a good speaker make. Are those JBLs silver? Is that the only reason why he likes them; b/c of the color? If he's so interested in looks only...maybe some silver Bose would be more to his liking? [​IMG]

Black goes with anything. A nice pair of Rosewood-colored speakers would look nice with the silver TV too. Maybe buy some stands and spray them silver...that would look good too.

3. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

I suppose Piegas are out of the question, budget-wise?

4. RichardH

FeisalK:
    Wow, those Piega's look awesome!! Yes, I imagine they are out of budget. Looks like similar design to the new Def Tech Mythos:
    [​IMG]

MichaelDDD:
    No, it's not a WAF thing, just his personal preference. Actually, it's more the dimensions than the silver color. e.g. I showed him some M&K speakers on stands that were the same dimensions of the speaker (looks like one tall column), and he liked those as well. Of course, those M&K's were out of the picture budget wise as well.

Actually, he thought the Anthony Gallo speakers were really cool too on those "stem" stands:

[​IMG]

BAsically, looking to avoid the traditional "bookshelf speaker on a stand" type thing while keeping the price low and the looks high! Ugh, this may prove to be mission impossible.

Any other suggestions would be great.

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Fluance ES-1 $400 a pair... http://www.fluance.com/fluanes1higf.html

I know Swan's also makes some tall slender silver speakers. They used to be on the www.theaudioinsider.com website but they're not anymore. If you contact the guys there they can probably still get them. They were pretty reasonably priced and had mains, center, and surrounds (fluance just has the fronts in that particular style).

6. RichardH

Stephen:
    Hey, those Fluance actually do fit the bill! But, no matching center/rears, and if there were, would still be over budget with a pair of fronts at $400.

Maybe in the end I'll tell him to just get the ones that look cool, and upgrade later to those Def Techs or similar.

7. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Ugghhhh... not my cuppa tea... but we're here to swap information, right?

Nakamichi makes something along these lines called SoundSpace... several sizes and pricepoints... I actually heard one of the bigger ones in a store a couple years ago, and it sounded OK, I guess... no clue as to price, but you might call a local retailer; I've got a hunch they don't sell well, and you might be able to talk them into discounting.

8. RichardH

I have a feeling that I'm not going to find something to fit the bill as far as looks and price. Best alternative may be to find best looking stands for the NSP1 fronts (or maybe make some)....

Keep the suggestions coming, please.

9. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Check out the Pinnacle Quantum series.

10. RichardH

Well, for anyone following this thread and wondering the same thing as me, I found a decent solution:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/DVX_S200P_1.htm

[​IMG]

Just the speakers (5 plus sub) retail for $400. Not sure how much you could get them for in the store. As far as looks, they are exactly what my friend is looking for, and as far as sound, they're much better than the Panasonic and JVC stuff that I've found. The fronts and center have quad 2" drivers and 1/2" tweeters. I'm not expecting them to extend down to 80 Hz, but for the purposes of movies and TV, should be fine.

11. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Looks like a Lifestyle killer.