What's new

Why not more excitement over LED DLP? I mean, no more color wheel! (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Seriously though, is it just me?

I've been a diehard CRT fan forever (and I am sure people are tired of me saying it) and knowing that the end is near I have been trying to pick a "newer" tech.

LCD RPTV has always been out of the question. SDE, bad contrast and artifacting are just too obvious to me. Well, for my needs anyway.

I primarly want a big screen for movies on DVD and HD. Was not looking for gaming or regular TV. TV is in basement with almost zero light. So I love my CRT RPTV but burn in is a scary thing when you have 3 kids that might leave something on all day or a video game or 4:3 content while I'm at work.

So when speaking with people of similar taste and "pickyness" when it comes to displays the options were either Plasma (though similar burn in risk) or DLP.

Well so far, from what I heard about DLP and LCD RPTV and what I saw at stores, they are pretty much neck to neck. As far as I could tell the main reasons people were choosing LCD were the dreaded DLP color wheel due to RBE and louder fan noise or wheel noise.

But other than that if you wanted a TV mainly to watch movies, DLP was said to deliver a more film like image. Is that not what we are looking for? I don't mean gamers or SD TV watchers, I mean those of us looking to have a home, well, theatre.

Basically I remember hearing: "guys if DLP can got 3 chip DLP like LCD RPTVs are 3 chip then it will be game over." DLP is said to have better contrast, better colors, no (or less obvious) SDE, in other words better for watching films. Now they did not go 3 chip DLP but going LED still eliminated the color wheel. No rainbow effect and no clicking noise from the wheel. Not to mention that it also eliminates the need for bulb that have to be replaced every few years.

So what am I missing? Should we not be more excited? What has been still down? I know they still aren't plasma like in terms of PQ. Is is that it's still the wobulated chip? I'll be honest, I can't see a difference between the wobulating and non-wobulating on 720p in store and never seen a non-wobulating 1080p.

Are these first units full of defects? Is the price at stores just too high?

Even our own Ron was excited when these were announced and our big ISF dude Gregg seemed to these were going to be a huge step up.

so, fill me in guys, what am I missing?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'm going to have to actually see one, before I get excited, if then. The picture will have to be noticably better, than the current ones. I don't see the RBE, personally, but I've seen better pictures, on other tvs.

As I've said in other posts here, the absolute best picture I've seen on an HDTV, is on an LCoS tv. Both the JVC and Sony have awesome pictures. Since most of my equipment is JVC, I lean more towards it, because it'll match what I have.

I'm curious to see the new SED and Laser tvs, when they come out.........

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Note that LED does not completely eliminate the rainbow effect (RBE) compared with color wheels for single chip DLP, at least not for some people.

Some TV sets with Wobulation have "scan line overlap" because the tiny mirrors on the chip are a bit too large. A test pattern with alternating single pixel black and white lines (both upright and stacked atop patterns) will reveal this. (There are other reasons, too, such as poor de-interlacing, that would cause alternating black and white lines stacked atop each other to not reproduce distinctly.)

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Rolando

Screenwriter
oh wow, I did not know it did not eliminate RBE. I was under the impression that it was 3 LEDs for each Red Green and Blue and that it worked a bit like CRT RPTV it that there was a convergence of these 3 colors.

So if I get it right until there is 3 chip DLP WITHOUT wobulation it is still far short of perfect.

Why can't it be simple? In the old days there were good TVs, bad TVs, horrible TVs and great TVs. The only reason you got one or the other was $ or good marketing :)

nowaday with these "new" and "improved" technologies even with a lot of money everything is a compromise.

Thanks for the info guys.

CoolCatbro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reginald Perrin
Its getting a lot of excitement stirred up at CES.
The Samsung won first in its class last year with the DLP/LED model.
(which is now $2499 instead of $3999)

This year Samsung said they'll be dedicating much more to the DLP line because of this huge lighting breakthrough.

Led lighting is here to stay and not just a DLP technology positive improvement, most manufacturers dislike the bulb as I understand it.
Its held up the lines and is a costly part and a negative selling point to the prehistoric CRT people like myself. LCD proves this also...many people don't like the "bulb" concept of putting money into a TV, its just a new oddity to them and cost.

As far as the technology, all the articles I read said it does eliminate the rainbow effect....no bulbs, no spinning color wheel...and lighter..its a huge engineering improvement. But you can read the internet as easy as anyone.

if your interested you can search
Its the White Paper Texas Instruments and DLP LED and the white sheet is available on the internet, pdf.. Its not new, but the main ideal was laid out then, of course they've made large advancements in the LED technology since the white sheet was written.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It *definitely* does eliminate the "Rainbow Effect". The three high-powered LED's -- which replace both the bulb and the color wheel -- fire so fast as they energize the one-chip DLP that it's tatamount to a color wheel spinning at over 100,000 RPM. Since for 90% of the population a 5x wheel is "good enough" to eliminate RBE, I would say that the problem is taken care of!

The only "knock" against the current Samsung model is that the black level, while good, is not up to the standards set by current state-of-the-art DLP displays. Speculation is that the next model will include an "auto-iris" feature to bring the black levels up to snuff.

Here's a review of the model at CNET:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_HL_S...-31641984.html

CoolCatbro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reginald Perrin
yeah, the led's is actually 48x's the speed of the color wheel.per a TI eng. blog.
to see rainbows you'd have to have eyes that could also see a CRT line refreshing. (isn't possible unless your maybe Superman).

Have to wait until April for the new Samsung DLP/ LED's prices....its a well kept secret apparently.

er....and the Lasers are being worked out as I shop!!??
I guess there's the Leading Edge guys who upgrade every year and guys like me who never upgrade because they can't afford it all and there's new technology coming out every 6 months and being I plan to keep the set for 6-8years...its a big decision, too big.

and then there's the room issue. if its not right, you can't blame that on the TV model. geez.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks