What's new

Remastered artists you would like to see (1 Viewer)

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
Considering how many smaller bands have had their catalogs remastered with bonus tracks, these are a few in need of being reissued:

Beatles - Why the greatest band of all time has not had theirs done is beyond me.

U2
Prince
Bruce Springsteen

Miles

Second Unit
The Tragically Hip
Led Zeppelin - redo of the Box, but in hi-rez
Jimi Hendrix - at least the real releases in hi-rez
Older Satriani
Older Beck
Loreena McKennit (sp?)
Sarah McLachlan (sp?)
Big Sugar
TOOL!!!... pleez

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

I've been told it is because the 1987 versions still continue to sell at a brisk pace, despite their $19 list price. Until sales start to fall, there is no incentive for the record companies to go to the expense of creating a new, improved version.

John Milton

Second Unit
I'd also like to see remasters of all U2 CDs through "Actung Baby." Remasters of Depeche Mode's "Music For The Masses" and "Violator" would be great too. Call me crazy but I'd rebuy dozens of 80's albums if they were remastered.

MatS

Screenwriter
a remastered version of Springsteen & The E Street Band's BTR will be released next month for its 30th anniversary

thankfully it does not tack on 'bonus' tracks

no need to mess with perfection

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I like reissues not remasters. What format/s should stuff be remastered/reissued to? I think it's just become a royal scam to keep redoing CD's over and over. I'd suggest that it's mostly a waste unless they move on to the new, better formats.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Rachael,

I agree with you in most cases, but some cds were so bad sounding when they were released, they need to be remastered. I can think of several in my collection that have been replaced and I am glad they were remastered because they sound much better.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Amen Kyle! I have way too many bad sounding CD's myself. With Super Audio, DVD-A, and HDAD available, it just makes no sense to release ordinary CD's. They can ride with Super Audio. It's just that the room for improvement is so much smaller on the CD format compared to the other possibilities. Retrograde is a great album by the Friends Of Dean Martinez but it's a bad thing for the industry, and more mportantly, us! I don't want discs that are improved a few %! That's what I see possible with CD. The industry as shown me somethin' better and I don't like this retrograde back to vanilla CD.

Big 4 vanilla CD mastering standards get worse by the day. They can ruin any album's audio given a chance. I can't get very excited by the prospect of buying improved (read: questionable) CD's. DSD CD's from Sony and Telarc particularly P-pp me off! That justs says to me we're too cheap to give you a hybrid! Every Dual-y Disc P's me off that it could'a been a cheaper to produce DVD-A + CD!

I like CD compatible formats for their higher attributes. If labels have great tapes worth the time of day to remix, remaster, and issue. Then give it them deluxe treatment. Vanill'er CD doesn't excite me anymore....

PhilBoy

Second Unit
"The Joshua Tree" and The Tragically Hip's "Fully Completely" on SA-CD in Stereo (or an expanded 5.1 without the tricks).

Even though "Fully Completely" sounds sonically well recorded and mastered as-is, more resolution would be nice.

"The Joshua Tree" doesn't sound as airy as I would like. It sounds like I'm missing some of the subtleties in the music.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
The Island-released CD sounds to me - and I hate to use such an audiophile term - very gauzy. It definitely sounds like quite a bit of detail and crispness has been lost, like a heavy cloth has been placed over the speakers. Maybe this was by design, but the MoFi release doesn't seem to experience it to such a high degree...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks