What's new

Relocate to Sarasota, Fla? (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I'm being considered for a new job that would require a move from Long Island, NY to Sarasota. I applied for it on a lark about a year ago, never heard a word about the job and suddenly got called for an interview locally...which went well.

I was hoping a few here may live there or know about the area to give me some real world input about the quality of life there, and the area in general?

It looks great, and yes I am planning on going there to check it out, but any info would be appreciated...Real Estate brochures, relocation guides and chamber of commerce info only says so much. Thanks!

John_Graz

Stunt Coordinator
Carl, Hey neighbor ! I grew up on Long Island !!!;) Moved out in '86 though.

I too am considering a transfer to Gulf Coast of Florida....

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Florida. Let's see. Hot. Humid. Big bugs. Alligators that eat the family dog.

How much better does it get?

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Sarasota is a very nice and quiet area. I don't think it gets any hotter than N.Y. in the summer and stays fairly warm all winter because of the Gulf.Plus you can actually swin in the water and eat the fish you catch. Close to Tampa, Orlando etc.. If your looking for a family enviroment and having property i would say do it. If you like the hussle of the city don't.

Jason L.

Second Unit
I would rather live in the Inner Circle of Hell [but not Houston] than move back to Long Island. Grew up in Wantagh, graduated from SUNY-Stony Brook, and got the hell out as soon as I could.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Carl, as my kids would say. Your closer to Disneyworld. That would be the only factor for them. :)
Just curious. What type of job is it? Do you work outside or inside. With housing. You would be better to look for a newer or new development. I heard that when the hurricanes hit. The newer homes with the new building codes survived better.

Good luck.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I live 30 miles south of Sarasota. What do you want to know?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Heh. A couple of former Long Islanders who made the break...Get the hell out seems to be the regional motto these days. Lots of people are looking to leave here. I grew up in Long Beach, and am living in Oceanside in an overpriced, overtaxed tiny little unexpanded cape.

John, I'm interested in less hustle. My area here in NY is heavily populated, and I've been doing a commute to NYC for the past 5 months and not liking it at all. The idea of property, a bit slower lifestyle, and a better family environment sounds good to me as I've got two kids.

I'm not a hot weather person though, but I'm told I would get used to it eventually. I think I can live with it since I've been living with Long Island summers all my life.

Todd, I hold a management position with a federal agency so I'm on a government pay scale which is adjusted based on the cost of living in the area where the job is. If I get this job, and take it, my salary will actually go down about $3,000, but unless I'm mistaken, much of what I lose would be made up without state income tax.

Eric..basically, I guess I'm just looking for quality of life information. Where I live now is pretty crappy, to me anyway. Too many people, awful traffic, insanely high taxes, houses right on top of eachother with little property, schools on the decline and short of going to the beach, or going to NYC, there isn't much to do here other than see a movie, visit one of the many malls or sit in traffic.

Nassau county Long Island is, I believe, one the five most expensive counties in the U.S., and I'm looking to get a little more for my money as well.

The job I'm being considered for has an 80% chance of being in Sarasota, and a 20% chance of being in Tampa. Or, possibly both. You never know with the government...You can't even be sure the job you interview for will even be filled as they just rate vacancies as being "high", "medium" or "low" in terms of the liklilhood the job will be filled.

Are there nice areas to live in between Sarasota and Tampa? What would the commute be like if I lived in or near Sarasota, but worked in Tampa?

I can see from real estate brochures and relocation info I've been sent, that there are lots of new houses going up, and everything looks nice...More property, lower taxes and in comparison home prices seem to run about 40% less in that area for the equivalent of what I have here.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
What is your age, maritial status and children? Hobbies? (other than ht) etc. Sorry, late - I gotta go. Back tomorrow.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Eric, I'm 40, married...a 15 year old son and a 10 year old daughter. Hobbies? Softball, billiards....my wife golfs, my son plays baseball and tennis for his school.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Carl,

I used to have family in Bradenton, near Sarasota, and have always been impressed by the area. I never experienced a bad day in the months I've spent there and didn't mind the temperatures, even when I went down in the middle of the summer. I'm a big fan of heat, but not when it's 100+. I'm not sure about NYC, but Wisconsin summers are extremely humid, something I didn't notice down there. Just a thought for you.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Ok, Back and with more time today. I live about 30 miles south of Sarasota and used to work there about eight years ago. I still go there once a month for business meetings and sometimes culture.

What I can tell you about Sarasota? It is a pretty decent city. I would consider it one of the more attractive in Florida. The downtown has a thriving nightlife and there are some pretty decent restaurants. (Silver Cricket=Yum)

There is a small college there - I think it is an art college. Arthur Adnerson used to be big - I'm not sure about these days. I had a friend in Sarasota who was in a billiards league that she seemed to enjoy. Golf is, of course, splendid almost anywhere in FL.

Most Florida towns cater to the retired and Sarasota is no diferent, though I have noticed it more friendly than most to us youngsters. It is located close enough to Tampa/Orlando without acually being Tampa/Orlando. Traffic can be a bit rough at times, but nothing like Tampa. The beaches are nothing short of wonderful. Good bars there too (see Daiquiri Deck) There are some nice places to shop also.

It is a small city with a fair share of culture (museums, theater, etc) and business. I'm not sure what you do but some of the bigger opportunities in Sarasota are around Medicine, Financial Services, Restaurants and Construction.

There are various places to live in town which can cost you as much as you are willing to spend. Prices were much more reasonable all over Florida a few years ago. They've gone up about 20% per year for the last five years in this area. Thing to watch for? Your elevation. One part of Sarasota flooded in a rainstorm about ten years ago because of elevation and lack of drainage. I can't remember where other than it was near I75 and Beneva.

I can't tell you much about the public schools there - no experience. The town is big enough to have a variety of choices I suppose.

I live in Port Charlotte because I have extended family here (and we're not natives - weird story). If I were going to live somewhere else Sarasota woulde be near the top of the list.

I can't compare it to Long Island because I've not spent any time there. You will probably notice people here are a bit more laid back - sometimes what you may consider too much so. There is probably not as many distractions as there are in Long Island, but Sarasota has alot to offer. I like it more than Ft Myers or the Bay Area.

Summers are HOT - don't let anyone fool you. I remember one July walking out of my office during lunch. It had been sunny that AM, but a sudden cloudburst happened at 11:30 and stopped just as suddenly at noon. I kid you not - the asphalt was STEAMING! THere was a layer of mist like fog about 24" deep. It was like being in a sauna. That is uncommon, but the heat and humidity are there in summer - and never leave your windows down!

If you buy try to get on a water (canal) with ocean access - they are the most attractive. Second is a golf community. It'll cost you, but it'll be worth it. Financially and personally.

If your kids are the outdoors type they will be happy in Sarasota. You will have a young driver soon. I don't know about Long Island but in Sarasota you must teach her to BEWARE THE BLUE HAIR! They will TRY to crash into you. OR at least it seems that way. Especially if they have out-of state plates. I would not want to be your insurer...

I hope this is what you were looking for. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, does your wife work? I'll try to answer as best I can. Oh, and sorry if my grammar/typin is bad. I have a bum arm right now and I've done most of this one-handed. Grammarnazis be damned. :)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Maybe. If you are earning $60,000/yr and your net state income tax is 5% then a $3000 loss would be about a wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks