What's new

redoing some speakers that I have, need some advice (1 Viewer)

RoyceDB

Grip
okay, I have some old speakers (Soundwave Point Source 3.0), that look really good, but the speakers are starting to go, so I wanted to replace them. Each cabinet contains two 8s, a tweeter up top, then a tweeter facing you.

Now, I need your advice. I really want to use mostly all Adire products. So, I think I can get some Koda 8s, but they are only good up to 1000Hz. Then I can get some Extremis 6s, but they should be crossed at 3kHz-4kHz (according to Adire). Then I wanted to get a nice tweeter up top, like http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...umber=275-100, then a replacement for the tweeter facing you, which is kind of a weird style, but its very similar to this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...umber=297-408. Any recommendations or comments on any of this stuff? I am open to new ideas and suggestions, especially on the tweeters.

also, they really don't have the exact crossover that I wanted (perfect would be crossed at 900Hz, and 3500Hz), but they do sell Dayton crossovers that cross at 375/3000 or 500/4000. Which one would you recommend.

okay, and lastly, I would like to amp these things to get the most from them. I'm thinking maybe 70wrms to each of the woofers, and about 20 to each tweeter.

thanks in advance

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Then why do are you getting passive crossovers? You need two stereo amps and an active (electronic) crossover to accomplish this.

-Robert

RoyceDB

Grip
okay, that is why I am in here, is to learn all this stuff.

Where can I find active crossovers? I am trying to build all this on a budget, BTW. Also, any recommendations on amps to get?
Is there any way I can just get one nice crossover and two nice amps and run both speakers off of these?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Marchand makes good amps also.

Since each cabinet contains 8's, why don't you try something like the Dayton 8? It's inexpensive and sounds really good. If you want to spend more, get the Adire Kit 281. Both are proven designs at different price points.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks