What's new

Advice on new HT needed (1 Viewer)

Matt LaCoco

Auditioning
Hello all, I'm redoing my living room, and I need some advice on a new receiver and speakers. I'm just not well versed enough in HT to know what I'm looking for.

First, my budget. I'm looking to stay in the $3,000.00 range. For this, I need a new receiver, and a full compliment of speakers for 5.1 (fronts, rears, center and sub).

The room is about 400 sq. feet, but has a 16 foot ceiling. I am installing new wood floors. It's rectangular in shape, but one side is open to my kitchen, and the opposite side is brick, so runing wire through the walls is not feasable. So I'm also looking for some advice on running my speaker wire for the rears under my wood floor.

I will be using the system mainly for movies ant television, but it will do music duty occasionally.

Basically, I have no idea where to even look to get the most bang for my buck. The guys at the AV shop can spend my 3k real quick, but I've got a feeling a better system can be built for the same amount.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

joseph westcott

Second Unit
I laid my wiring under the wood floors.

Just cut a channel in the concrete. Easy, cost effective, and very clean!

I would spend $2500 on speakers and $500 on the receiver.

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
I would suggest looking at audio reviews to find your receiver, and then buy it from ebay. You can get some great deals there. Just make sure you're buying from someone who has an excellent rating, and is willing to provide a return policy. I can't really speak on receives brands right now except to say that I love Onkyo. I have had Onkyo receivers for years and they are good stuff. Speakers? Well you can get a millions opinions. I would suggest a SVS subwoofer. I recently got my SVS sub from ebay. I got the 20-39 PC + which retails for about $850 for about $530. It is only 6 months old. Good luck!

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks