What's new

Recomment Sub Please (1 Viewer)

Chris KAudio

Stunt Coordinator
I know that I need to go out and hear the subs, but can you give me a suggestion as to what sub to look for, I dont want to spend much money on it, so I guess the best bang for the buck sub.

Athena F2's
ASC1- Center Channel
Bose Cube Speakers - Satellites
HK230 Receiver

Any ideas?

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Nothing wrong with buying a second hand subwoofer...browse through ebay, then check the retail for comparison. So don't bid $2000 on a KLH 8" subwoofer ;-)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Audiogon is also a good place to look for used subs. Also, don't forget to visit your local retailer and see if they have any demo or "open box" subs. Usually, the discounts can be pretty good for such gear.

Chris KAudio

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice guys...

What do I look for when Im comparing subs? I have neevr bought a sub before... I watch movie and listen to all types of music.

Does the sub have to be compatible to my speakers?

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
The sub doesn't have to be the same as the speakers. The better the sub is, the better it will blend IMO. The best value is from the internet companies like www.adireaudio.com ,
www.svsubwoofers.com , www.hsuresearch.com , www.partsexpress.com , www.acoustic-visions.com , www.creativesound.ca Look for at least a 10" woofer, 2-300 watts. You get what you pay for from these companies and most offer 45 day money back trial and better customer service than B&M stores.

As for recommendations on the other equipment, consider
replacing the surrounds with Athena bookshelfs or dipoles

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Grahm - your recomending the Dayton 10" to a guy with a $400 budget? do you really think that the dayton can compare to subs in that price range?

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I am in the same boat as you, looking for a nice sub under $400 to replace my Sony SA-WM40. Right now my top two considerations are the HSU STF-2, which can be had for $350 at a local CompUSA and the Velodyne CHT-12, which can be had for $330 shipped from etronics.com. I am leaning towards the HSU right now though.

wilborn f

Agent
hi, im also in the market for subs, is deftech BP 100 comparable with what youve mentioned. Any reviews or comments on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks