What's new

Recommend me my next western to watch (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I didn't recall Whispering Smith being that violent, at least not to the degree of the Dakotas, but I did enjoy it. I wouldn't mind seeing it again myself. I also very much enjoyed Tombstone Territory and Yancy Derringer.

It wasn't overly violent at all, Brad. And while you and I enjoy series like Tombstone Territory and Yancy Derringer, I have to wonder if Neil would like them. It seems to me he's looking for downbeat grittiness and straight up violence. Not sure either of those would qualify. But perhaps to-MAY-toe, to-MA-toe applies here.

BTW, as has already been mentioned, Rawhide actually would qualify. I think many of us are just assuming Neil is familiar with it. But if not, it's a fantastic western.

Gary "I love Restless Gun as well, but not sure Neil would go for it" O.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
When it was originally on I watched the first few episodes but it was too dark for me. I dislike most modern shows because I usually dislike all of the characters. I can't watch a show where I hate every character in it.

I never knew you felt that way about Hell On Wheels! I feel that way about Blue Bloods (albeit that is a detective show/crime drama, and not a Western).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Talk about limiting yourself if a person eliminates movies. Movies are where the Western was a staple for decades. If you want mayhem in a classic western then "The Wild Bunch" and "The Long Riders" are go tos.

Maxman43

Agent
Real Name
Bill
'The Westerner'. But how much mayhem and violence are you expecting to get out of a western TV show?

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Finishing up The Quest now. Previously watched Have Gun, Will Travel, 1/2 hour Gunsmoke, How The West Was Won. Also, The Dakotas, which I loved. Looking for the next DVD set to start watching. I don't want gentle westerns. I'm looking for something with tons of mayhem and violence. Suggestions? And don't say Deadwood, already seen it.

Paradise (1980s TV Series)
The Magnificent Series (TV Series based on the series)
Tombstone Territory
The Texan

Jethro March

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry Maniam
How about 2 short lived but popular 1968 TV Westerns The Outcasts starring Don Murray and Otis Young and Hondo with Ralph Taeger .Cancelled due to ' extteme violence and mayhem '😁

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
Finishing up The Quest now. Previously watched Have Gun, Will Travel, 1/2 hour Gunsmoke, How The West Was Won. Also, The Dakotas, which I loved. Looking for the next DVD set to start watching. I don't want gentle westerns. I'm looking for something with tons of mayhem and violence. Suggestions? And don't say Deadwood, already seen it.
Guns of Will Sonnet

If you want tons of violence and mayhem, and if you don't mind the steampunk aspects of later seasons, you can't do better than The Wild, Wild, West especially in B&W
Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 12-16-58 EP6501_T32577_47 0 jpg (WEBP Image, 920 × 613 pixels).png

Tom.W

Second Unit
It's been a while since I've viewed them, but Law of the Plainsman has some nice payoffs for ruthless violence. It was an early primetime show, so of course Sam Buckhart (Michael Ansara) got the bad guys in the end. It had one of the coolest openings with the aerial shot zooming in of Buckhart riding his horse. Also the episode of Johnny Ringo "Four Came Quietly" was pretty ruthless, but maybe not violent enough for your taste throughout the episode. Neil, if you haven't gone through the hour Gunsmokes, "Us Haggens" (which introduces Festus) has a shocking and violent opening sequence.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I just started digging into the first season (up to disc 3) of Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theatre, and it seemed a little more gritty than the other dozen or so TV westerns that I have, plus, some fine familiar or yet-to-be familiar guest stars.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to start with either Lawman or Hondo I think. Both Branded and Guns of Will Sonnett are favorites of mine and two of the very few westerns that I watched when they originally aired. But I watched the DVDs when they came out years ago so I'm looking for shows that I haven't really seen. Also may throw Wanted Dead or Alive into the mix. Can't go wrong with anything Steve McQueen is in.

What are the thoughts on some of the other Warner westerns, like Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, Bronco and Colt .45?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I have not seen Hondo, but if you liked Branded and Guns of Will Sonnett then Lawman and Wanted Dead or Alive are good choices. Also, if you haven't seen it, and it does not appear it was recommended yet, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp might be a decent watch for you. All three of those are 30 minute shows.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have not seen Hondo, but if you liked Branded and Guns of Will Sonnett then Lawman and Wanted Dead or Alive are good choices.

Especially Wanted Dead or Alive-- if you can get past the packaging (12 discs in that square recess inside in black envelopes [the way that Mill Creek used to package their releases]), I think you'll really enjoy the late Steve McQueen as Josh Randall (I did, and it's well worth the money); there's stuff on that bonus disc I haven't yet touched, but the main event is worth the price of admission for that 12-disc Special Edition release.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
You could go to YT for their Forsaken Westerns unsold pilots. There's some good stuff that never became series.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Especially Wanted Dead or Alive-- if you can get past the packaging (12 discs in that square recess inside in black envelopes [the way that Mill Creek used to package their releases]), I think you'll really enjoy the late Steve McQueen as Josh Randall (I did, and it's well worth the money); there's stuff on that bonus disc I haven't yet touched, but the main event is worth the price of admission for that 12-disc Special Edition release.
I have the original BCI releases in separate cases per disc, not the shitty cheapo reissues.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have the original BCI releases in separate cases per disc, not the shitty cheapo reissues.

Are you speaking of this (third-and-final-season release listing on EBay)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks