What's new

Recomend a good VCR... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Well folks, I love the Panasonic brand, but these things don't seem to last more than two years. So, I'd be interested in knowing what another good brand is.

I was thinking of looking into a JVC SVHS VCR, but was wondering if it was worth the extra cost. Or, since I like the features and...nuances.. of the Panasonic brand, would an SVHS Panasonic model last a bit longer?

Thanks!

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Checkout the Panasonic Semi-Pro "AG" Line. You can find them at www.jandr.com. & no, the Super VHS Panasonic's VCR's are not built any better than the regular VHS models.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
In the midst of so many enthusiast claiming to do away with their vcrs, I on the other hand feel that a good vcr will add to your HT set up. I have two (2), JVC S-VHS vcrs, 3500 that resides in the bedroom and the 7600 that's connected to the set up in the basement. It is my opinion that if you are going to add a vcr to your system, you should get the best possible picture from that vcr, and a S-VHS machine with DNR (Digital Noise Reduction) and TBC (Time Base Corrector) will accomplish this. I suggest the higher end models like the 7900 or 9900 (I believe) or the Mitsubishi models, which both DNR and TBC. DNR and TBC really does wonders to even standard vhs tapes. It corrects the color bleed that's associated with vhs tapes and recordings.

When recording from satellite on to S-VHS tapes, there is some testimony from some of us (including myself) that it's very difficult to tell the difference between source and tape with the DNR/TBC engaged. Some say it even borders with Laserdisc. As far as the sound is concern, in most instances, I find the sound to be of cd quality. The 7600 and 9600 allows you to change the audio recording level, very helpful especially when recording music videos, or action films. If this machine will do run of the mill time shifting and playback other than your HT system, you may want to go with a cheaper model, but I think a good vcr is a good vcr where ever you play it. You may even some post that would state that good and vcr should never go together, but it can :D

Iver

Second Unit
It's hard to find a decent, moderately priced VCR because almost all the manufacturers have been trying to sell models at rock-bottom prices since DVD players got down into the $100 range.

As a result, there are not many choices between $80 stereo VHS decks and entry-level pro decks.

The 9xxx JVC is good. It sells for about $400.

If you want to go to the pro level, Panasonic's AG-1980 is a great machine, but it sells for about $1,000. It's mostly aimed at videographers, but it does have a tuner, timer, and other home features.

The S-VHS format is quite a bit better than VHS. If you are happy with VHS, stick with that. Otherwise, it might be worthwhile to go with S-VHS (you can get the JVC 2901 for about $120 at J&R). The horizontal resolution is 400 lines, the same as laserdisc and just a bit short of DVD's 480.

The audio response of stereo VHS or S-VHS is excellent.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I figure it would be a better solution to archiving, and easier to store than direct to digital. With that, you'll have 50 files on your hard drive, each a gigabyte each, while you're saving up to get a DVD+R 20 pack.

Also, how much do SVHS tapes hold. Are the times different compared to regular VHS tapeS?

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
The Panasonic AG-1980 is a good choice if you want to spend $1,000. I didn't and bought the JVC HR-S9500U and later a GoVideo SDV-650 (actually a black JVC HR-S9800U). The picture quality is good and so far with very light use both are doing great. Build quality does seem fragile so only time will tell if they will last. Refurbdepot.com had the JVC HR-S9900U for $320 recently but I am not sure of the best price on new or refurbished. The HR-S7800U has been offered for about $180 refurbished recently. If you don't want SVHS, you can find inexpensive VHS Hi-Fi for under a $100 from several manufacturers.

Chris

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
SVHS tapes are offered in the same length as VHS tapes. SVHS SP speed is the same as VHS SP speed, you get a little over 2 hours on a 120 tape which is about 246 meters long or a little over 6 hours at the EP speed. With most current SVHS VCRs you can record near SVHS on standard VHS tape. My experience is that should only be done with high grade VHS tape. SVHS doesn't offer the LP or middle speed offered on some VHS VCRs.

Chris

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Neil, if your looking to archive tapes to later transfer them to DVD than go with one of the follwing S-VHS JVC models.

HR-S7800U $259
HR-S7900U $269
HR-S9800U $329
HR-S9900U $289

All are available refurbished from www.grazyg.com

The 9800 & 9900 both have a "Ghost Reduction" Tuner which really makes a difference in video quality.

If your just looking for a VHS VCR that is going to last for more than a few years, I think your out of luck. If that's the case than I would go the route I did when I was looking to replace a vcr in a spare bedroom. I found an AKAI Stereo HI-FI VHS VCR for $ 39.99 which I consider a disposal VCR :D but believe it or not ..... it has a decent tuner in it which surprised me & I would rate the picture quality on it as good as any regular Panasonic, JVC & Sony VCR & if it breaks in even 1 year I figure I got my money out of it & I will just go buy a new one.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
OK folks, amazon.com contains searches with conflicting reviews...

What stores tend to have decent, current models of S-VHS machines, around the $110 range? I'm tired of this VCR and it's major tracking problems. I know it's not the tape, because I try it in the same places in the VCR back at home and it works perfectly in all the areas this VCR messes up.

Hopefully as soon as Digital Video editing gets to be as convienient as VCR editing, I can ditch it completly :). Being able to program the TV Tuner so it tapes the show, and eliminates the commercials would be nice :).

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
If you want an all-out performance VCR the AG-1980 is da one. Consider that you can find them used. If you go with an AG-1980 what yo will give up is: no VCR+ and no fancy scanning like the JVC 9xxx models have, and a rather spartan remote. I wouldn't recommend any of the JVC models below the 5901. The TBC models are the ones to go for, 9xxx, 7xxx. The only other VCR on the market worth the time of day is the Mitsu HS-U778 because it has S-video pass-through so that you can put it between a satelite/cable box and the TV, a convient arrangement 'fer recording off boxes. Best wishes!

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
What stores tend to have decent, current models of S-VHS machines, around the $110 range? I'm tired of this VCR and it's major tracking problems.
Nothing at $110 in SVHS I have seen currently that is worth having. The JVC HR-S7800 refurbished at about $200 on eBay is the best I have seen recently. The JVC 2901 can be found and at less than $110 but I don't think it is worth having.

Chris

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Well, my 3 month check hasn't come in yet(Online service, choose to pay for three months in advance ), so we had to settle for a standard 80$ 4 head, Hi-Fi VCR.

It's amazing how little these stores, even the wiz, carry. Less than 2 or so collumns of slots to choose from. VCR's really are dying out :).

tom milton

Agent
what about the jvc 5901? the 1980 is not worth the cost to me and i'm a little leery of refurb electronic merchandise.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks