Radio Shack remotes? (Or other options)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Silge, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Robert Silge

Robert Silge Agent

I currently have an A/V Producer 8 remote, which has been used well. It's the old kind that can't actually learn new devices it doesn't have a code for, and so the remote collection has again expanded to 3 remotes. This is no good.

I had thought of getting one of the Radio Shack learning remotes, because I remember hearing good things about them. But I'm concerned with the number of buttons it will allow you to program. We got a low end one for a relative, and there were some buttons it wouldn't let you reprogram.

I need something in the $50 range that will allow me to teach it controls for: TV, receiver, DVD player, LD player , VCR, and decoder.

Thanks for any recomendations anyone may have.

2. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

Not for the faint of heart, but a _great_ deal of info. on remotes like the R$ 15-1994 or several of OFA's line:

JP1 Interface

Me

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Rob: The Sony 900 is a good remote in that price range. It has built-in codes and can learn. A good, solid remote. It's only shortcoming, IMO, is that it's not backlit. (The keys do glow though.)

I also agree with Tim that the JP1 type remotes from One For All and Radio Shack can do a great job. They are HIGHLY flexible. Certainly the most flexible for the money. But the number of keys are limited... (Still, check out Tim's link.)

My best recommendation though is for you to tough it out for a little while longer and then spend around $120 or so for a Home Theater Master MX-500. This remote will seem like a miracle to you. It has all the keys you need/want and it will actually show the correct function for each key. IMO, the best bargain in a do it all remote. Take a look at the Home Theater Master forum over at www.remotecentral.com You won't be sorry.

4. EricH

EricH Auditioning

Where can one find this at the best price? Amazon has it for 161. Circuit city?

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

6. Johnny V

Johnny V Agent

*thread-jack*

I saw a mini-review in a PC mag I get for the RadioShack "Kameleon" remote (catalog# 15-2133) that looked interesting, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. There is a cool flash demo of it here .

The only thing I can initially see as a problem, is the lack of an "input" key for the TV to switch between DVD, Video 1, Cable, etc. That's probably one of the most used keys on my current remote. I would be surprised if it didn't have one, but I didn't see one.

One of the main benefits of this type of remote IMO is the wife/girlfriend factor (no offense). My girlfriend finds my current Universal to have "too many buttons" [​IMG] This looks like it may help in that department.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

8. MattMB

MattMB Agent

9. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    A couple of days ago I payed $15 for a One For All 8l remote and it's great. I wouldn't have expected such a cheap remote to be so useful. This time last week I had a whole stack of remotes but now for I'm down to one. The remote isn't fancy or elegant but it controls my three receivers (surround, stereo, sub), CD changer, X Box and television. It's a learning remote but I haven't had to use the function because it is preprogrammed to control all of my devices. The remote even handles picture in picture.

If you're looking for a Lexus remote this one isn't for you but if you're looking for reliable transportation that'll get you from point A to point B then One For All will do the trick.

10. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    I absolutely love my Kameleon...best remote I've owned so far (replaced my Sony AV2000).

Very easy to set up, easy to use, WIFE friendly, and only $60!

Alfer

11. Johnny V

Johnny V Agent