Universal Remotes, Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Feb 5, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

We just bought our first 'real'(read non computer), DVD player for the TV Downstairs in December. Now, we have a total of 4 remotes hanging around downstairs. One for the Sony DVD Player, Samsung Mono VCR(Don't ask me why the parents didn't get a stereo unit), and Two for a JVC TV since the original JVC remote is starting to break down.
    Can anyone recomend a good Universal remote for all three? I'll get the model numbers down later, so you can be aware of what buttons are needed. Also, I was doing some searching on Amazon.com and came up with this link. Anyone have this product that can review it?
    link

2. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

After doing tons of research, I went for the Radio Shack 15-1994. It's a 6-in-1 hard-buttoned, learning remote based on the One For All series of remotes. A very affordable and flexible choice.
    I believe that the latest version of this remote is model number 15-2104. Here is a link.
    Check out http://www.remotecentral.com for more info on this and other remotes, including programming codes once you make up your mind.

3. Phong

Phong Agent

I recently (last week) bought the Home Theater Master MX-500 for $125 shipped, which you can read about at remotecentral.com. I wanted one with a screen so I could customize my button labels, but also with hard buttons, because I don't want to have to look at the remote every time I want to change channels.

The MX-500 is a great remote, very easily customizable with your own labels on the LCD screen and easily learns your old remotes. There are 53 button functions available for each of 10 devices you want to control, more than enough for a majority of devices.

4. Curt Jett

Curt Jett Agent

5. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

I believe that the 'interface' to a home theater is one of the most important aspects of it, and is often overlooked. Being able to simply switch between modes and get things running quickly and easily encourages use and improves the experience.

Onto specifics, I third the MX-500. Its not the 'perfect remote' but it comes close. I believe hard button remotes are inherently easier to use, and the MX-500 is the best I've seen yet.

I also have a Cinema 7 (sort of like the radio shack remote mentioned above). It comes in really handy for teaching the MX-500 discrete codes that may not exist on your original remotes. For $30 or whatever I paid for it, it was a bargin. If you don't have a very complicated system, it may be all you really need.

6. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Being a Prontoholic, I have to recommend the Philips Pronto because of its' vast programmability. The original TS1000 is now available for around $200 or so, the newer TSU2000 for $300 or so. The TSU2000 is easier to program because it has the vast UEI code library built in. However, either model is incredibly flexible and allows you to create a very easy to use interface to your system.

If you don't want to spring for a Pronto, the Home Theater Master SL-9000 is a nice unit, with a reasonably large large pre programmed library and the ability to learn codes on any key. It also has a reasonable macro facility to make your system easy to use. Cost is around $150.

7. Suart Stanley

Suart Stanley Auditioning

If you have a spare palm or visor try the omni-remote software for twenty bucks. It turns your pda into a full functioning and editable learning remote with macros and all the goodies you could want. Stuart Stanley

8. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'd actually recommend the Sony Vl-900-the remotecentral review is here: http://www.remotecentral.com/vl900/index.html
    Lots of hard buttons, learning on everything, and a GREAT design. No problems finding any of the buttons in the dark, which is a big problem with most of the touchscreen models.

9. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

I give the MX-500 another recommendation. It's a very easy remote to use. I learned how to program it in a matter of minutes. I've programmed mine to control all the necessary equipment for a particular viewing mode. For instance I have programmed the SAT buttons to control all the necessary equipment for watching HD. Instead of switching from page to page to page to turn all the equipment on, off, switch inputs, and change volume, all can be accessed in one page (SAT).

10. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

...another vote for the MX-500. The Radio Shack and OFA remotes are the best if you are going with a cheap solution, MX-500 for a more advanced hard button remote, and the Pronto if you are a fan of touchscreens.

11. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Yet another vote for the MX500. I upgraded from the SL-9000 & tried the pronto emulator for a few weeks.

Very easy to set up & flexible to customize.

12. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

And one more for the MX500. I did own a Pronto and just didnt like the touchpad aspect of it..

13. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

If you are on a budget and do not need to do extensive programming...give the RCA RCU810 a whirl. Inexpensive, backlight, universal,learning, does macros, has an LCD but is 100% hard buttons...did I mention INEXPENSIVE?...definately not in the same class as the MX-500, not even close to the Pronto...but is very easy on the wallet and "smarter than the 'a-ver-raj' remote" (as Yogi would always say...depending on your age or access to the cartoon network you may or may not get that last part [​IMG] ).
    Cheers

14. Jonathan Wong

Jonathan W
    I give another vote to MX-500. I searched for a univeral remote control for a while. I read lots of threads in remotecentral.com and finally picked up the MX-500. You won't regred if you love hard button remote. It's very user-friendly with customizable labels. The infra-red signal is very strong. I'm using it to control my TV, VCR, DVD player and lightings (X10). I still have lots of room in the remote for future HT expansion.

JW

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

MX-500 all the way!
    • every button is programmable
    • lighted
    • macro capability
    • controls up to 10 (?) components
    • customizeable labels for hard-buttons
    the list goes on and on. at 130 bucks it's a steal...you'll never need another IR remote!

16. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I have a Marantz RC3200 LCD/Hard button remote that came with my SR-8200 receiver. I have completely programmed it and downloaded it from my PC and it is working great. However, I STILL find myself using my MX-500 remote, because I DON'T HAVE TO LOOK AT IT TO USE IT. The hard buttons are well thought out, it sits more comfortably in my hand, and it works like a champ. Even my wife likes it better than the Marantz.

Go with the MX-500. Although you can't progam it from a PC, it is still very easy to setup and tweak.

My $.02

Pete

17. David Gibson

David Gibson Auditioning

I purchased the Sony AV2100. In 40 minutes I was fully functional including macros and I don't own any Sony products. My wife and 7 y.o. picked up the remote and went to work without "training".

18. Jose Robles

Jose Robles Agent

I also recommend the MX-500 if you're looking for a remote to control everything. I got mine over a month ago and I love it. All the reasons that everyone has mentioned so far I agree with.

Jose

19. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

After reading thru this thread, I just dropped 135.00 @ etronics.com for the MX500. Thanks!! [​IMG]