Reciever hum

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brian Bergen, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Brian Bergen

Brian Bergen Extra

I am getting a weird hum from my speakers only when my dvd player is on. no problem thru cd player. Any ideas?

2. Jameson Richard

Jameson Richard Auditioning

what kind of audio connection are you using from the dvd player to the receiver...

if you are using a progressive scan dvd player make sure that you do not have the pr connection connected to the receiver...

if not you might think about replacing the cables you have for the audio from the dvd player to the receiver... they could be broken inside the cable or you might be getting some interference in the cable....

3. Brian Bergen

Brian Bergen Extra

I am using a monster thx 400 optical cable. Brand New. The dvd player is not progressive.

4. Brian Bergen

Brian Bergen Extra

I tried switching from optical to coax. With the coax there is still a slight hum but not as bad as with the optical cable. Just to test out the optical cable, I hooked it up to my cd player and get no hum there.

I am using a subwoofer cable as the coax for the data stream since I do not have a coax cable handy.

5. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Connect the DVD player to the receiver with just red/white RCA audio connectors and see if the hum is there.

By your description the DVD player itself would seem to be the source of the problem and that's strange. The overwhelming majority of such problems are grounding issues and usually with the cable TV cable. Grounding could still be the issue tho' and sometimes changing what the DVD player is plugged in to can help (i.e., try the player and receiver plugged into the same outlet and try different outlets).

6. Robert Fellows

Robert Fellows Stunt Coordinator

Hum usually is caused by improper grounding. I'd start there next.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sounds like a ground loop. Do you have the DVD player plugged into the same place (outlet, power center) as the receiver?

8. Brian Bergen

Brian Bergen Extra

No hum from standard hookup of l/r channels with patch cords. The whole system is hookup to amonster power bar 1000(dvd, tv, xbox, reciever and Cd player).

9. John Garcia

John
    A power center will not stop ground loop. Though it sounded like it, the problem may be your player, because the optical cable already should not have transmitted a ground loop.

10. Doug_

Doug_ Stunt Coordinator

I agree, optical should not create any ground loop. It must be the DVD player. Unless it is the particular input on the receiver. You could try to plug the DVD player into another receiver input such as AUX, or switch it with the CD input and see if you still have issues.

11. Brian Bergen

Brian Bergen Extra

Ok tried switching outlets, ran an extention cord across the room for the dvd p[layer, still get hum. Tried a totally different dvd player and still get hum.

12. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Then sounds like something in the AVR itself. Have your tried connecting the DVD player to 2+ inputs on the AVR?

13. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Try this:

Get the hum to happen so you can hear it.

A) Disconnect your system from the CATV coax. If the hum goes away, you need to call your CATV company.

B) Disconnect the subwoofer cable. If the hum goes away, you need to break the ground pin on the subwoofer power cord with a 3-2 prong 'cheater' adaptor.

14. John Garcia

John
    *Never* use a cheater plug.

Read this. It might help.

15. Brian Bergen

Brian Bergen Extra

I am only getting a hum from my dvd player when hooked up with the coax or optical cable. It is really starting to piss me off.