What's new

Reciever hum (1 Viewer)

Jameson Richard

Auditioning
what kind of audio connection are you using from the dvd player to the receiver...

if you are using a progressive scan dvd player make sure that you do not have the pr connection connected to the receiver...

if not you might think about replacing the cables you have for the audio from the dvd player to the receiver... they could be broken inside the cable or you might be getting some interference in the cable....

I tried switching from optical to coax. With the coax there is still a slight hum but not as bad as with the optical cable. Just to test out the optical cable, I hooked it up to my cd player and get no hum there.

I am using a subwoofer cable as the coax for the data stream since I do not have a coax cable handy.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Connect the DVD player to the receiver with just red/white RCA audio connectors and see if the hum is there.

By your description the DVD player itself would seem to be the source of the problem and that's strange. The overwhelming majority of such problems are grounding issues and usually with the cable TV cable. Grounding could still be the issue tho' and sometimes changing what the DVD player is plugged in to can help (i.e., try the player and receiver plugged into the same outlet and try different outlets).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds like a ground loop. Do you have the DVD player plugged into the same place (outlet, power center) as the receiver?

No hum from standard hookup of l/r channels with patch cords. The whole system is hookup to amonster power bar 1000(dvd, tv, xbox, reciever and Cd player).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A power center will not stop ground loop. Though it sounded like it, the problem may be your player, because the optical cable already should not have transmitted a ground loop.

Doug_

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, optical should not create any ground loop. It must be the DVD player. Unless it is the particular input on the receiver. You could try to plug the DVD player into another receiver input such as AUX, or switch it with the CD input and see if you still have issues.

Ok tried switching outlets, ran an extention cord across the room for the dvd p[layer, still get hum. Tried a totally different dvd player and still get hum.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Try this:

Get the hum to happen so you can hear it.

A) Disconnect your system from the CATV coax. If the hum goes away, you need to call your CATV company.

B) Disconnect the subwoofer cable. If the hum goes away, you need to break the ground pin on the subwoofer power cord with a 3-2 prong 'cheater' adaptor.

I am only getting a hum from my dvd player when hooked up with the coax or optical cable. It is really starting to piss me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks