1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Onkyo vintage with speaker hum

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Scott Cohen, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Scott Cohen

Scott Cohen Auditioning

Scott
    I have an onkyo vintage av reciever. Has a two prong plug which is plugged directly into wall outlet.
    I get hum from my mains when I switch to THX or any kind of surround sound. No hum when using just mains for music. My input source is toslink from smart tv.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    What else is hooked up to the receiver... anything? Are you using the tuner from the TV or is there a cable box?

3. Scott Cohen

Scott Cohen Auditioning

Scott
    I have a chromecast audio for spotify hooked to the second toslink input. No hum when I play music

Tuner is in tv, no cable box

So the only inputs are the two toslinks. Video goes to the tv via ethernet.sound for home theater runs through the toslink.

4. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Typically, a hum is a grounding issue. Sorry, I am not too familiar with the configuration you specified but I would disconnect everything, reconnect just your TV to the receiver and see if it still hums (leave off the Ethernet connection). If so, there is something there in your hook up. If not, then hook up the next thing and see if it hums, and continue till you find the culprit. The idea is to try to isolate it.

Maybe someone else has a configuration similar to yours that can chime in.