What's new

Heavy Static in Subwoofer please help (1 Viewer)

wonkamas

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
About two months ago I purchased a Cerwin Vega 28S dual 8 Subwoofer and noticed right away when I plugged it in for the first time continuous humming sound which I did some research on and realized was a grounding issue which I was able to fix w/ a plug adaptor.

However recently I've noticed a static/ crackeling sound as soon as it powers on.

I've tried unplugging it from the reciever and no change so it's definitely a sub issue and have tried a different power chord , and with and w/o the plug adapter.

I rarely turn the sub volume passed half way and don't really get to crank it too loud in general on my reciever because I live in an apt. so it's hard to believe I could have blown something.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What is the LFE output level set to on your receiver? Does the sub make the same noise when there is no input signal?

-Robert

wonkamas

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I'm not sure what the lfe level is set to I'll check but yes I tried it w/o being connected to the receiver and just the sub by itself when powered on makes the crackeling/ static sound.

deadly4u

Grip
Real Name
David Alleyn
I don't have experience with that issue, and you should wait for someone more experienced to answer, HOWEVER, it sounds like some sort of shorting could be happening on the amp board.

If you are the experimental type you could open it up and void whatever warranties you have. Then you could poke around the dangerous ciruictry (i am not liable for this suggestion) and check for burn marks, leaking capacitors, or things that dont look like they should be.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks