What's new

Reciever for B&W? (1 Viewer)

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
Right now I have a Sony 985 and it's time to upgrade. I am using B&W 602's, 601's a CC6 and a Dickason 10"Titanic II kit. As far as the B&W's go I would like some opinions as to a good match. The B&W's are a bit unforgiving in that it's "crap in, crap out" and I was looking for a "warmer" reciever to match them. Let's keep the street price below a grand(US).

David Judah

Screenwriter
I would recommend the Denon 3803 or the Pioneer 45TX. IMO, they are the best receivers in the around a thousand dollar price range and they would both match up well with the B&Ws.

The Denon will be the slightly warmer of the two but not by a considerable amount. Both are excellent sounding for their price and have all of the latest decoding formats.

DJ

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Marantz is another good match, check out their new 7300. I've heard a lot of talk about the Elite 45 shutting down but B&Ws are fairly efficient and shouldn't pose any load problems.

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend the new NAD T752. I heard it last week powering 602's, 601's and a LCR60. An excellent match IMO. It sounded better than the Marantz 7200, which they also had hooked up to the speakers. The NAD was warm like the Marantz but had a better presentation for music.
More info here:
http://nadelectronics.com/Receiver/T752.html

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am using a Pioneer Elite 47TX to drive my B&W 600 Series speakers, and the combination works very well. I would imagine that the 45TX would provide similar sounding results within your price range.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
for heads up, i auditioned the B&W 601s, and Paradigm mini-monitors the other day, the paradigms being $100 cheaper, and the mini-monitors were much better. Was running off the new musical fidelity dual mono amps, and i was actually quite dissappointed by the 601s. I don't know if anyone else found this to be the case, but just a heads up.

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, thanks for reminding me of NAD. I has almost forgotten about the company. They were the first seperates I owned back in '79. I'll go into Manhattan to audition the reciever, I think Stereo Exchange carries the line. As for the Fidelity's, well they are excellent but if I bought them then I might as well go all the way and make the move to the Nautilus 805's. (Which I hope to do late next year) In the meantime I can drop some hints for Christmas. Thanks for the ideas.

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Definitely check out the Marantz SR7300...it's sound is different than the 7200 of last year so that comparison doesn't work too well. It is now made in Japan (not China)and it's closer in sound and features to the SR8200, just a little less power.

Check it out. I believe retail is about $899 but you can get it online for about $699.

I'd like to tell you more about it but mine is still in a box somewhere on the way to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks