What's new

HDMI ARC Audio Extractor? (1 Viewer)

Marshais9

Auditioning
Real Name
Denton Herbik
I made a mistake while doing my most recent renovation (I'm in IT, but GC'd the build). I incorrectly thought an HDMI ARC TV could pass audio information to my Denon 3806 Non ARC Reciever. So I only wired HDMI lines from the TV to the closet where my audio system resides. fail!! needless to say I can't rewire the room easily and all my money is gone (renovations aways go over budget!) so a new ARC Reciever is out of the question for a while.

Soooo.

Can I use an Audio extractor to go from my HDMI ARC TV to my non ARC HDMI ports? I also have optical on the reciver as an input option. However I have read that optical doesn't support all surround sound standards and there can be issues with Netflix and Amazon. glitching and popping??

btw - most of my family's viewing is Netflix and Amazon. We don't have a blueray or anything audiphile connected. My adcom/B&W (circa 1995) stands guard in my office.
smile.gif

Any help is really appreciated. Thank you!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only option I can think of is to forget using the streaming apps in the TV, which is the only thing ARC is used for. You can get a Roku device cheap to use instead. Then you connect it to one of the hdmi inputs on the receiver and you're good to go. $40 will solve your problem, which is probably cheaper than an extractor, if it existed.

BTW there ARE hdmi audio extractors, but I'm not aware of any ARC audio extractors.

Marshais9

Auditioning
Real Name
Denton Herbik
interesting idea. Simple and effective. I fear it might confuse the natives as there will be numerous ways of getting to Netflix etc

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Confusion or not, I think it's your only solution, other than getting as new receiver.

It's not that confusing. Streaming will still all come from one place. It'll just be a different place.

More often than not, ARC is a pain anyway.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I looked a little further, and it does appear there are some ARC extractors, but the only reasonably priced one I found does NOT pass through hdmi, which makes things complicated. I think you can do it, but it appears it'll be at least $100. Just not something anyone's ever asked about.

Marshais9

Auditioning
Real Name
Denton Herbik
thanks for the input. my brain is so tired of boucing from problem to problem. "move in ready" house next time!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks