What's new

Pioneer Announces Dolby Atmos-Enabled Elite Speakers and SC Recievers (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
PIONEER CONTINUES TO “ELEVATE YOUR SOUND EXPERIENCE” WITH DOLBY ATMOS-ENABLED ELITE SPEAKERS AND SC RECEIVERS
Immersive Dolby Atmos Technology Delivered Through Elite Speakers and Receivers

LONG BEACH, Calif. (June 23, 2014) – Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. today brings an incredible multi-dimensional audio experience to consumers with a dedicated line of Dolby Atmos®-enabled Andrew Jones-designed Elite speakers and Elite SC series home theater receivers that will be Dolby Atmos upgradable via a firmware update available by the end of the year. With Dolby Atmos, sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill the home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. The new 2014 flagship Elite SC receivers with Dolby Atmos will provide the critical multi-channel processing and necessary power required to fully create the Dolby Atmos effects while a new line of Andrew Jones designed Elite speakers will produce exceptional sound quality that brings the technology to life1.

“We’ve been at the forefront of every technology available for the home theater environment and we’re making a point to have the Dolby Atmos technology into the latest products that will captivate and transport audiences with multi-dimensional sound,” said Chris Walker, director of AV product planning and marketing for the Home Electronics Division of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “To ensure the best Dolby Atmos experience possible, Pioneer not only produced a series of ultra-high end receivers dedicated for the task, but also appointed Andrew Jones, our top speaker engineer, to design a speaker system worthy of the Elite brand and that can reproduce the sound quality that only Dolby Atmos can deliver.”

First established in the cinema, Dolby Atmos transports audiences into the middle of the movie action with a multi-dimensional sound experience that heightens emotions. Pioneer’s years of experience and expertise in home theater gave them the opportunity and advantage to develop a complete Dolby Atmos system with both receivers and speaker products. The availability of a single Pioneer branded system provides better control of the Dolby Atmos experience and the advantage in delivering the technology.

“Dolby Atmos is the next step in home entertainment and it’s really something you have to experience for yourself to understand how truly amazing it is,” said Michael Crane, Senior Director of Merchandising for Magnolia Home Theater and Design Centers. “We’re looking forward to demonstrating the technology in our Magnolia locations through Pioneer’s complete Dolby Atmos-enabled system.”

There are more than 340 Magnolia Home Theater locations within Best Buy stores nationwide that offer customers a premium home electronics shopping experience. There are also more than 40 Magnolia Design Centers which are the flagship of the Magnolia brand and provide the finest brand names, greater depth in product categories, as well as highly-trained system designers, project managers, programmers and installers.

Details of Dolby Atmos-enabled Pioneer products will be announced on Wednesday (11:45 a.m.), June 25 at Pioneer’s press conference in New York City at the 2014 CE Week Show. Pioneer will also have a special home technology room set up with the complete Dolby Atmos system for demonstrations to show attendees. Members of the media are encouraged to attend the Pioneer press conference and experience Dolby Atmos.

Pioneer Electronics CEA Line Show Activities
· Press Conference, Wednesday, June 25 at 11:45 a.m. EDT
· Booth Exhibit, Booth #44, Wednesday, June 25 (11 a.m. – 7 p.m.) and Thursday, June 26 (9 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
· Home Technology Demonstrations, Booth #5

Pioneer’s Home Electronics Division develops award-winning audio and video home theater products including A/V receivers, Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD players, and speakers. The company’s brands include Pioneer® and Elite®. More details can be found at www.pioneerelectronics.com.

About Dolby Atmos
Dolby Atmos delivers captivating, multidimensional sound that places and moves specific sounds anywhere in the room, including overhead, to bring entertainment alive all around the audience.

Since its introduction in the cinema in 2012, Dolby Atmos has been embraced by all the major Hollywood studios, seven Academy Award® winning directors, and 16 Academy Award-winning sound mixers, among others. Later this year, entertainment enthusiasts will be able to enjoy Dolby Atmos in their home theaters.

To learn more about Dolby Atmos and home theaters, visit the Dolby Lab Notes blog here.

1 To enjoy the full Dolby Atmos experience, consumers must have Dolby Atmos encoded content, Dolby Atmos-enabled receiver, and new Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers or add-on modules or at least two overhead speakers.

Pioneer is a registered trademark of Pioneer Corporation
Dolby and Dolby Atmos are registered trademarks of Dolby Laboratories

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
While I have no problems whatsoever with the concept of Atmos... why oh why do they have to start saying "Atmos-enabled" speakers?

Seriously, Pioneer?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Atmos enabled speakers have drivers pointed at the ceiling so reflections come down at you. This is for people who don't want to add ceiling speakers.

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I'm intrigued by Dolby Atmos, but am prepared to wait for the implementation of it to mature and prices to stabilize. Also, is it clear yet that Atmos must be encoded to a disc and decoded by the processor or does it enhance already entrenched formats? If it's software dependent, all the more reason to wait...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Atoms is "another" encoding process.Like movies could be encoded for IIx and DSX.In theatres, sure, have 60 discrete channels. Atmos enabled discs are still going to be 5.1/7.1.What started with IIz has matured.I hope Yamaha jumps on this bandwagon. They already have rear Presence, so there have been no hints at anything in the wholesale pipeline.

andySu

Senior HTF Member

The only flaw Atmos has is that it doesn't have stereo below surround placed underneath the seating of real cinema seats. so bit of waste of time.This video has flaws of facts missed out. No mention to Sonic Whole Overhead used on We Were Soldiers, that matrix extra sound on the rear back of Dolby pro-logic mix, the rear surrounds that is used on the professional side.Home Dolby-EX users the centre channel only switched around and placed at the back so it removes the + phase signal and places phantom signal that is commonly placed between two stereo channel mixes. Just like Dolby Stereo, and the surround rear well they just fitted that to the ceiling.Placing speakers on ceiling in cinemas for a kinder of surround overhead is as old as STAR WARS '77 when that played at local cinema to me.When I worked as projectionist the UCI 10 screen had EV speakers and its surrounds where mounted to the ceiling so with some sound effects I had impression of overhead and reacted and looked above and can recall all the Dolby Stereo A-type SR that played and when I left UCI and few years later they installed dts, same EV speakers so now it was stereo overhead.Few years later when they installed Dolby CP500, and removed the EV and fitted the surrounds on the side walls and back wall that is common to all cinemas.Overhead today is only now played discretely. Still this could have been doe with Dolby Surround 7.1 for the home with mono overhead and mono below surround and EX of the side surrounds for centre back. Least then we'd have overhead and below will have sound images moving off-screen, to match the position. Bit it would be limited to directions where it can move to in the room.Stereo overhead and below would be step in the right direction. Dolby have only improved or now made the sounds move from one speaker to the next around the back wall and along the side walls so the sound image as physical movement rather than a sound that plays soft to loud with sense of its behind you?I watch the image even as far back as '97 when me and another projectionist was standing at the back of the cinema watching The Pacemaker. We both agreed that the sound should have moved underneath rather than where we heard the train leaving the train station at the start of the film. So This video and their thinking? I've been thinking years before all this. Ambisonics, was also tinkering around with above and below. So Atmos might be waste of ones sierious listening time and money spent on the AVR and extra speakers can be cheap and yes used depends on ability, are you determined and size of the room and finding a bookshelf type that can easily be mounted to side walls, back wall and ceiling, piss easy.Only other flaw with home Atmos is not enough channel outputs for the like that in the cinema. And cinemas all come in many sizes.My room is 15 feet long 12 feet wide but narrower at 9 feet as I have scale the room down a bit due to chimney breast being in the way, Height 7 feet 8 inches high. So far I have up to 16 fall range for the surrounds and 3 matched full range and subs. So if I can think and scale it down and fit this much, into a tiny room and make matrix overhead work on some films that have some steering of - phase that is sent out and when switching the signal processor decoder used on the surrounds and comparing with film Eraser (1996).These Enable speakers really. I have seen speakers designed like this years ago. All need to do is re-wire it. The more things change. The more they stay the same.

I wonder what the frequency response for the specs for the channel output on home watered down Atmos. Watered down, as not enough channel outputs. Its like remake rebooted ROBOCOP with PG-13, 12A rating rather than R, "18".

Four more channels at high expense cost. I can buy Cobra 148 GTL-DX with standard 120 channels or modification of 200 channels for £100.00 to £160.00.

Enable speakers waste of time. Its excuse for this "wife factor" that doesn't exist. Just fit smaller bookshelf to the the side and rear walls in arrays and use the same speaker fitted to the ceiling in arrays.

EASY. Why other home cinemas have clusters of subs and one has to climb over them to get out of the room? :P Subs and all speakers fronts should go behind the screen so the clutter is out of the way! Then you discover you have more space to walk around the room.

Surrounds belong on the walls not on the floor. Guess not many of you been to small commercial cinema. On the walls. Ether get rid of wife and enjoy Atmos. Sorted. :P

This whole new speaker thing to drive consumers to spending more out. I seeing, deja vu, of the mid 80's 90's.

I like ranting on this. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks