What's new

Broadway Shows On PBS (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Speaking of this production, for those who didn't remember, it was nominated for eight Tony Awards including the production and Levi, Benanti, and Krakowski for their performances. It only won Best Scenic Design.

It fared better at that year's Drama Desk Awards where it won four awards including Best Revival and Best Supporting Actress for Krakowski. Levi, Benanti, and Nicholas Barasch (who played Arpad) were also nominated. Barasch won a Theater World Award for his work in the show, too. All well deserved.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Speaking of this production, for those who didn't remember, it was nominated for eight Tony Awards including the production and Levi, Benanti, and Krakowski for their performances. It only won Best Scenic Design.

It fared better at that year's Drama Desk Awards where it won four awards including Best Revival and Best Supporting Actress for Krakowski. Levi, Benanti, and Nicholas Barasch (who played Arpad) were also nominated. Barasch won a Theater World Award for his work in the show, too. All well deserved.
A true Valentine to The Shop around the Corner.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Just wanted to mention that Falsettos was another magnificent production with a sterling cast of singing actors and inventive stage design. And I admired the difficulty in performing this musically difficult material while also remembering the set design choreography that was omnipresent especially during the first act.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
"Falsettos" -- truly heart rending and beautifully done. In the Los Angeles area it was uncut. Hope the rest of the country got to see the entire production as well.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I believe it was the same in the Buffalo feed as the version shown in the theatres. I don’t remember the juggler at the start of Act 2, but when we saw the recorded version there was no intermission.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
PBS's Great Performances will be repeating a number of shows beginning Friday July 24 , 2020 with "She Loves Me" as part of its Broadway At Home series. In future weeks A documentary about "In the Heights",
the London production based on the NY Production of "The King and I" and the Central Park Public Theater production of "Much Ado About Nothing" will be broadcast. Date and times may vary on your local PBS station.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I hope they also re-show 42nd Street.
I saw the Fantom event in the theater, but missed it when PBS showed it

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Lincoln Center will show the concert version of Carousel on it's youtube channel beginning at 8 PM Friday 7/10/2020 until Tuesday September 8th.

Rodgers and Hammerstein's Carousel
At 8 p.m. ET, Lincoln Center shares a recording of the New York Philharmonic's 2013 concert staging of Carousel, starring Tony winner Kelli O'Hara as Julie Jordan trapped in a dark relationship with Billy Bigelow, played by opera star Nathan Gunn. The supporting cast is just as impressive, with Tony winner Shuler Hensley as the villainous Jigger, Tony winner Jessie Mueller (a future Julie Jordan) as Carrie Pipperidge opposite Jason Danieley's Enoch Snow, Kate Burton as Mrs. Mullin, Tony winner John Cullum (a former Billy Bigelow) as the Starkeeper and Dr. Seldon, and New York City Ballet dancers Robert Fairchild and Tiler Peck in the Act II dream ballet.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I wish PBS would rebroadcast its Live From Lincoln Center "South Pacific" with Kelli O'Hara. These live shows never seem to get repeated. It has shown up on youtube. "South Pacific" was broadcast live while "Carousel" was recorded from a live performance for broadcast later.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I recorded the South Pacific when I first got my recordable DVD player and absolutely screwed up the recording because I only got the first half. The second half went gazingle. I have been waiting for a repeat broadcast ever since.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Broadway on PBS this year. Seems only one musical will be shown, the Broadway adaption of "Holiday Inn". This has been included on the latest blu ray of "Holiday Inn". I am not a fan. In addition " One Man, Two Guvnors" starring Tony winning performance of James Corden will be shown. I think this is not new PBS. I saw it live on Broadway and it was great.
I am looking forward to to seeing the documentary about "Fiddler On The Roof", "Fiddler: A Miracle of Miracles" and the concert by Lea Salonga. November 6th to November 27th are the dates at 9:00 PM, local dates can vary this being PPS.

Can a moderator remove "Fall 2017" from the thread title? This has become an annual event.

Last edited:

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
We attended the Lea Salonga concert at the Sydney Opera House. The concert was first class in every aspect. I am sure that many people will enjoy the recording.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's widely known around the forum that Salonga is an absolute favorite of mine. I saw her live at an old music hall in Troy, NY a few years ago. A GREAT night. She is beyond description as a vocalist.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
One Night Only: The Best of Broadway NBC 12/10/20 8 PM

Mean Girls Tony nominee Tina Fey will host One Night Only: The Best of Broadway, which will air December 10 at 8 PM ET on NBC. Celebrating the resilient Broadway community, the two-hour special will benefit Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.

Cast members from several Broadway productions—including Ain’t Too Proud–The Life and Times of The Temptations, Chicago, Jagged Little Pill, Diana: The Musical, Jersey Boys, Mean Girls, and Rent—will take over the streets of Manhattan with special performances. Also, expect an appearance from the cast of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child as well as a sneak peek at shows that will arrive next year.

The NBC celebration will also feature performances by Kelly Clarkson, Brett Eldredge, and Patti LaBelle with appearances by Annaleigh Ashford, Lance Bass, Kristen Bell, Ron Cephas Jones, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Peter Gallagher, Josh Groban, Jake Gyllenhaal, Sean Hayes, Nathan Lane, Camryn Manheim, Alanis Morissette, Jerry O’Connell, Leslie Odom Jr., Billy Porter, John Stamos, Aaron Tveit, Blair Underwood, Vanessa Williams, and Susan Kelechi Watson.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Since Broadway will hopefully get to open by the start of summer tourist season, this special should give the Great White Way some impetus to get the shows back on the boards.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
In celebration of the 80th Anniversary of the musical Hugh Jackman 1998 "Oklahoma" will be screened in theaters July 16 and 19 2023. It was primarily filmed in a studio without an audience but a performance in front of an audience was periodically cut in .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks