What's new

Broadway Shows On PBS (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per Playbill

Great Performances will present broadcasts of three recent Broadway productions: She Loves Me (October 20), Holiday Inn (November 24), and the Kevin Kline-led revival of Present Laughter (November 3). The three titles were previously filmed for the streaming service BroadwayHD.

She Loves Me stars Laura Benanti (Supergirl), Zachary Levi(Chuck), and Jane Krakowski (30 Rock)

I will be DVRing these for sure.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nice! This is exactly networks what NBC and Fox should be doing with their live theater broadcasts.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I read about these yesterday and was so happy to see that they were coming. I also thought Falsettos was coming to PBS at some point (maybe August) but may have run into affiliate problems due to the nature of the story.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Looking forward to these. The NBC stuff, especially "The Sound of Music" were awful. I hope PBS gets it right.
Not the same thing at all. PBS is broadcasting shows that were taped during their live Broadway runs, several performances edited to get the best single copy of the production possible. They were not staged especially for television or done as the NBC's productions have been: one show only live with whatever mistakes are made there for all to see..

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I read about these yesterday and was so happy to see that they were coming. I also thought Falsettos was coming to PBS at some point (maybe August) but may have run into affiliate problems due to the nature of the story.

Seeing Falsettos Saturday at a theatre in Mississauga.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Falsettos is/was shown in movie theaters this summer. A Playbill article from July 14, 2017 said it is to be broadcast on PBS in October.
http://www.playbill.com/article/falsettos-screening-sells-out-and-extends-in-movie-theatres

Another article from earlier said it was coming to PBS but was not scheduled yet.
http://www.broadwayworld.com/articl...ALSETTOS-Revival-Will-Air-as-Planned-20170406

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Falsettos was wonderful. The voices were strong and Stephanie Block who plays Trina was outstanding. Only the most bigoted of homophobes could find anything objectionable here. Having seen the road show production and owned the cast recordings for years, I knew enough to bring a box of Kleenex with me. It basically came home empty.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

"Falsettos"will be on PBS Friday October 27 . Check local listings.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Falsettos was wonderful. The voices were strong and Stephanie Block who plays Trina was outstanding. Only the most bigoted of homophobes could find anything objectionable here. Having seen the road show production and owned the cast recordings for years, I knew enough to bring a box of Kleenex with me. It basically came home empty.
Terry, I just watched the preview above, and I have to disagree with you. There will be many, many people who will object to the subject matter of Falsettos. I won't be one of them, and I hope I have a chance to see it. After broadcast will they be streaming on PBS?

Ya gotta remember the Bible Belt where I live will not be pleased. Local PBS stations rely heavily on donations from their viewing audience. They will think twice about offending them. But wait, there's some hope. If you're watching PBS, there's a good chance you aren't a bigoted homophobe. Who knows?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I live far from the "Bible Belt" and find the attitudes and beliefs of many there truly hard to understand. The area seems frighteningly foreign. Much of the USA was mostly founded by disaffected religious groups. My country was not.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I live far from the "Bible Belt" and find the attitudes and beliefs of many there truly hard to understand. The area seems frighteningly foreign. Much of the USA was mostly founded by disaffected religious groups. My country was not.
Try living in the middle of it. Oh boy! When I first moved here (job transfer) I thought I'd need a passport and updated shots. This is another country.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
When is Falsettos going to air? PBS has been teasing it but won’t give a firm date! I’ve been waiting patiently.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Reminder This Friday, October 20 Great Performances presents "She Loves Me" with Laura Benanti and Zachary Levi.
October 27 Great Performances presents "Falsettos" with Christian Borle ,Andrew Rannells, and Stephanie J. Block

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Reminder This Friday, October 20 Great Performances presents "She Loves Me" with Laura Benanti and Zachary Levi.
October 27 Great Performances presents "Falsettos" with Christian Borle ,Andrew Rannells, and Stephanie J. Block
Two absolutely marvelous shows back-to-back. Not to be missed!

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I was lucky enough to be rehearsal pianist for a production of SOUTH PACIFIC in which Stephanie Block played Nellie. She was fantastic, and I am so thrilled for her success in New York.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw the taped presentation of Falsettos earlier this past summer. As Terry stated above, it is hard to come away not moved to tears by it. It is back-to-back music and the performances are terrific. After it was over and it was announced that it would be shown over PBS, I turned to my wife and said: Not in Dallas. Well, PBS is playing it safe. It is showing excerpts from the musical. I wonder what "offensive" material will be excised.
I also saw She Loves Me and that is the most joyous, wondrous musical this side of Sondheim. If you loved The Shop around the Corner, then you must treat yourself to this musical version of that beloved film. Laura Benanti almost reaches the heights of the legendary Barbara Cook, and that is saying quite a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
absplumbing
Recent bookmarks