What's new

Receiver/Speaker combination for new HT system (1 Viewer)

CyrusR

Auditioning
Hello.

This site has been incredibly helpful to me, and its user base has been impressively kind and knowledgable. I would really appreciate some advice.

I've just purchased a Toshiba 57HX81 HDTV and I'm looking for a receiver and speaker combination to compliment it. I could break my usage out to roughly 40% TV (HD cable from TimeWarner), 35% DVDs, and 25% Gaming (Xbox and GameCube). I really have no interest in using this setup for music.

I'm looking for something to truly maximize my movie-watching experiences. Loudness isn't so much my desire as is crisp, detailed, and vibrant sound.

I've been looking at the Yamaha RXV 630. In your opinion, would this suit my needs or would another receiver be better? And could you recommend front, rear, center speakers and a sub that is generally best for movie viewing? Naturally I would proceed to a local shop and give them a listen for myself.

Thanks!

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
Cyrus,

Not sure what kind of budget you are working with so I'll recommend something fairly inexpensive, which is the route I went. Take a look at the new Onkyo SR600, it's a very solid receiver that will give you good features/performance for the price. If you don't have a huge room that you need to fill, nor deep pockets, you may want to look at the JBL NSP-1 speaker system. This is what I am currently using, after many recommendation from the veterans in this forum. I am very happy with this set up and feel I have a great foundation to build on in the coming years.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Cyrus, what's your budget for all 5 speakers and subwoofer? That might help out with the suggestions!

CyrusR

Auditioning
Thanks for the responses so far!

I hadn't mentioned a budget because I figured that my needs were their own limitations.

I don't really care how much I spend as long as the results warrant the price - again keeping my needs in mind.

Ok sorry for babbling. Let's say I'd like to spend $500 to $1200 for a receiver. I haven't done research on speakers yet so I'm not sure what's reasonable. Perhaps another $1500?

Initially this will all be placed in a room that's 16'x24', eventually it will probably make it's way into a larger living room not surrounded by walls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks