What's new

Receiver Recommendations on a Budget (1 Viewer)

Tracer Metula

Auditioning
Real Name
Jacob
I'm looking to purchase my first audio receiver and really don't know where to start. I'm on somewhat of a budget. Ideally around $500. Would love some recommendations. I just want solid surround sound for my TV and also integration with my turntable (Rega Planar 3). I'll also be upgrading my speakers soon (possibly immediately) and am considering Fluance Elite. Halp!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Your turntable's online manual hides whether or not it has an internal preamp.

Most lower price receivers don't have a phono level preamp built in. So you have to answer the question first about your turntable.

Tracer Metula

Auditioning
Real Name
Jacob
I actually ended up ordering a Denon AVR-S750H. So I could now use 5.1 speaker suggestions if anyone can kindly recommend.

Budget $500-$800... something that works particularly well for playing vinyl, tho this will also be what I use for streaming TV and movies. Not too worried about any of the most advanced audio formats... just basic surround sound.

Fluance caught my eye. I guess their entry-level 5.1 speaker system, Elite. Not sure whether it's worth going for the more expensive floorstanding vs the compact. My place is somewhat small, and wouldn't mind saving a couple hundred dollars one these (or any other brand that offers floorstanding vs compact) but would definitley opt for floorstanding if there are enough benefits to the audio quality.

Thanks in advance for patience with a noob!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I actually ended up ordering a Denon AVR-S750H. So I could now use 5.1 speaker suggestions if anyone can kindly recommend.

Budget $500-$800... something that works particularly well for playing vinyl, tho this will also be what I use for streaming TV and movies. Not too worried about any of the most advanced audio formats... just basic surround sound.

Fluance caught my eye. I guess their entry-level 5.1 speaker system, Elite. Not sure whether it's worth going for the more expensive floorstanding vs the compact. My place is somewhat small, and wouldn't mind saving a couple hundred dollars one these (or any other brand that offers floorstanding vs compact) but would definitley opt for floorstanding if there are enough benefits to the audio quality.

Thanks in advance for patience with a noob!
I've been impressed with Monoprice's line of speakers. Their Monolith line is outside your budget, but you may want to give their MP-65 line a look.

MP-T65RT Towers - $119.99 ea.
MP-C65RT Center - $59.99
MP-65RT Bookshelf - $64.99/pair
SW-12 12" 400-watt subwoofer - $229.99 or SW-10 10" 150-watt subwoofer - $129.99

Those will keep you within your budget ($500-600).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Could just be me, but for someone w/ a source like a Rega Planar 3, I'd imagine you might want better front speakers for the stereo music playback... even if that means stretching your budget some (and maybe skimping on the surrounds and/or even go w/ phantom center at least for short term) to round things out for the HT part.

I certainly wouldn't want to skimp on the front LR speakers too much and at least include something like the ELAC Debut 2.0s for consideration (for the front LCR channels) -- they're currently on promo sale.

IF it were me, I'd definitely consider going 4.0 to start out to maximize the front LR speakers (and maybe just recycle a pair of old ones for surrounds at first) and then add a good subwoofer and eventually a center to match...

Cheers!

_Man_

doanster

Auditioning
Real Name
Doan
The Denon AVR-X1xxx series will do everything you need on a budget. I bought an AVR-X1300 for $300 new a few years ago and it is impressive, supporting 7.1 or 5.1.2 (Atmos), depending on what floats your boat.

Old Dog

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martyn
The Planar 3 is a very capable tt. No mention of arm or cartridge being used, but the deck itself certainly warrants good ancillaries.
Alot of sense in your comments _Man_
Very difficult to know anyones expectations, but IF the inbuilt phono stage doesn't really tick the box, there is always the option to use a separate phono stage and connect to one of the receivers analogue inputs (being as vinyl seems to be quite important).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks