What's new

receiver $400 price range? (1 Viewer)

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
ok ive been constantly posting about upgrades and such in the paist and many otehr mindless posts never made up my mind befor but i think ive got my mind set.. so for now i want a reciver about 400 i will eventualy go pre/pro but for now i want a reciver with preouts for all chanels im thinking about the Pioneer 812k but im not sure if it still has its 6.1 pre outs .. and if it does .. and i add an amp will the poor sound quality of the amp in that thing affect my sound if im using a external amp? ... and uuh for speakers well bestbuy got some new stuff in i have my eye on the Klipsch Synergy Series they sound decent and what really has my eye is that 91db sensitivity im one for really loud music and im thinking those are pretty decent but are very pricey. anywhoo lemme know what yall think thanks a bunch in advance

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Lyden,

and i add an amp will the poor sound quality of the amp in that thing affect my sound if im using a external amp?
I dont know what external amp you are considering, but overall I think more power will only give you better performace on your setup. And the amp inside will do nothing or affect nothing if you use the receiver as an pre amp.

But I dont know how good of an pre 812 or the 912 can be, and by this I only state my personal opinion, but I think this model that pioneer introduce are very good for what the were intended to be "Good entry level recievers with a lot of features and not so expesive". So their strenght is price/features. But sound wise, I dont know. But if you like what you hear as a pre then you can upgrade later.

Try to go one step at the time, you are getting Klipsch speakers, which are very efficient speakers, so I think you wont need an external amp. Try to put as much money as you can in speakers, this could make the best improvement your setup can have. Also are you getting a sub? this could help your receiver and the overall sounding of your setup.

Hope it helps,

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I'd choose the Sony 2ES--with the processing power of the 4ES and pre-outs for all channels--which you can get from Oade for $420 shipped. And that 5 year warranty is tough to beat.

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Lyden:

I would agree with JohnnyG--I would look at the Harman/Kardons from One Call (www.onecall.com). The Sonys or the Pioneers will tell you it is 100 wpc, but it isn't true. When tested, they will only produce about 40 wpc when all channels are driven, unlike the H/Ks, which will meet or exceed their rated power into all channels. Besides, the H/K seems to have been built with better parts--it certainly sounds better.

rishid

Auditioning
So you guys would suggest a H/K over a Denon AVR-1803 or Onkyo TX-SR601? I am deciding on which reciever to purchase also

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered the Marantz 6200 from accessories4less.com even though it is refurbished you can add a extra 2 year warranty on it from their site. So far Ive heard nothing but positive feedback for accessories4less so Im willing to try them out. Same goes for the Marantz 6200, positive reviews all the way (and since Im a music buff). I was specifically looking for a Marantz and at $399, I think its a great deal.

I will be receiving it tomorrow and Ill post again on the condition it came in for those that are interested.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Benson,

I just ordered the Marantz 6200 from accessories4less.com even though it is refurbished you can add a extra 2 year warranty on it from their site. So far Ive heard nothing but positive feedback for accessories4less so Im willing to try them out. Same goes for the Marantz 6200, positive reviews all the way (and since Im a music buff). I was specifically looking for a Marantz and at $399, I think its a great deal.
Congratulations on your SR6200, it wont dissapoint you, and for $400 is the best reciever you could find in that price range. I have an SR6200, and I'm considering a SR9200, my dealer will give to me this weekend so I can audition it at home, but the SR6200 is hard to beat, the only downside it has is the ugliest remote I have ever used, but it works.

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Pablo:

I don't know if this is of interest to you, but I understand the SR9300 is just about to come out. I don't know if you would want to wait for it or use the info to drive a harder bargain with your dealer, but I have already seen an ad for the 9300, so it can't be far away.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
you can add a extra 2 year warranty on it from their site.
Who services the warranty, where do you have to send it for warranty work, and what's the procedure to get work done under the warranty?

Sometimes, these warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
JohnnyG, check these links out or go to accessories4less.com.

http://accessories4less.com/aless4/C...=AUDIOWAR&tpc=

http://www.warrantech.com

http://www.myrepairmaster.com/RMTC/RMUSG002.pdf

I have this as a extended warranty on my Sony Wega set purchased from a retailer in NY, Ive seen alot of reputable retailers in my area that carry this type of add on warranty. I must admit, I have yet to use their service because my TV is still functioning properly for almost two years.

Here is a quote from the companys site.

"Repair or Replacement promise; In the event the product can not be repaired, it will be replaced!"

Maybe I shouldve made it more clear that it is just an option but I hope the info above might help somewhat.

Edit:
I forgot to mention included in the reputable retailers group is J&R.

Kyle-K

Stunt Coordinator
I just received the Yamaha HTR-5660 and am very happy with it...

It's got plenty of inputs and will upconvert composite video to s-video. (Handy, if your TV is like mine, and doesn't like switching inputs).

The digital inputs are all reassignable too.

All in all I'm very happy so far.

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the 6200 in perfect condition yesterday although the packaging couldve been better, it was sufficient. Some of the styrofoam actually broke off but there were no visible signs of damage on the receiver. It came in like new condition. I had it up and all the components connected in about half an hour, that is including the time I had to cut off part of my AV cabinets back panel because the receiver was protruding through it when the cables were connected, basically it just didnt fit but it dosent matter since Im looking for a better audio only rack so I just yanked off the backboard.

The 6200 looks simply spectacular! Compared to older Marantz units I have owned and a recent low end Onkyo, it has nice touch of class with the brushed metal. If one were to look at this beefy and slick unit, two words would come up in your mind - power and class. Now onto performance, the real reason I chose this unit over others, that and the $399 price ;). I fiddle around with the OSD and video switching and there seems to be no problem as others have said in the past with the x200 units. I stressed it out with some DVDs and CDs at extremely high volumes and there were also no apparent performance issues. At first it seemed that what others have previously stated that the Marantz 6200 did not have enough power was true seeing as I have to raise the volume bar 3/4 of the way to watch a movie "loud" (I dont have a SPL meter yet) but I soon realized that raising the volume even 1 bar after that point had a very significant increase. IMO I think the comments on Marantz receivers not having enough power has to do with the fact that the the soundstage is so transparent that others percieve it to be lacking dynamics. So far it is enough power for me ATM but I have just fiddled around with the unit for a day. If anyone is looking into Marantz and can stretch thir budget a little more, I would go with the 7200/7300 and up (if you listen to music very loud) for the extra watts and better remote. The remote with the 6200 is decent and is capable of learning others and I dont think it should warrant so many negative reviews. The layout is not perfect but at least it has plenty of buttons for you to learn for instance if you have cable/satellite and need to learn a menu button, there is one already labeled menu versus $100 learning remotes I have tried (Homelogic) where you have to replace learning the menu button with say a memo button which would confuse others besides yourself trying to work your hometheater.

I loved my old Marantz SR-73 Pro-Logic II only receiver (75 watts) with my Infinity Reference Series 2000.5 speakers, mainly because you could be listening to CDs or watch movies for hours and it would not at all be fatiguing to the ear. With the 6200 (105 watts), there is even more power and digital connections. Bass response is very VERY tight and highs are crystal clear. But what stands out most to me about Marantz receivers vs. others is that warm sound everyone describes it produces and the very transparent soundstage. Looking for a word to describe the sound, the only appropriate word I came up with would be "sweet"! Speaking only from my own experience, if you own JBL or Infinity's, Marantz receivers would be a great match for them.

Shiu

Second Unit
unlike the H/Ks, which will meet or exceed their rated power into all channels
Do you have proof? Assuming this is true, still, one has to consider this:

HKAVR325, list price roughly the same as, or slightly higher than a similarly equipped Sony ES or Denon receiver, is rated for 50 Watts per channel (or 65 Watts per channel in stereo mode) only. As an example, the Sony DA4ES has 7 identical amplifiers, each rated, and tested to exceed (See S&V Jan 03 issue)100 W (vs HK's 65 W) RMS continuous. The supposedly lower rating for all 7 channels driven simultaneously would likely be due to the limited capacity of the power supply. The point is, the HK may have a slightly stronger power supply, but the Sony, Denon, Pioneer etc., appears to have more powerful amplifiers.

I think we have to look at their specs as a whole, not just pick out a line or two.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Mark,

Speaking only from my own experience, if you own JBL or Infinity's, Marantz receivers would be a great match for them.
I second your opinion, I have four JBL S26 + Scenter + SVS, and my setup is sweet. Excelent in HT and very good with music. I hope you enjoy your receiver as I have, it was a very good descition going with marantz.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Shiu, check out the chart of Sound & Vision test results here: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm

As you can see by the note at the bottom, I don't know where you got your information from on that Sony! Now look up at the H/K numbers. Although the 325 isn't listed, all the H/K models that are exceeded their specs, just like Mark says.

Shiu

Second Unit
Thank you Jonny, I did see that chart a while back. I got my information from the original S&V review in their Jan issue. I know they did not test the Sony for 7 channel driven simultaneously. I was trying to make the following points:

1. Although the 4ES was not rated for 7X110W with all channels driven simultaneously, each channel on its own is capable of delivering higher than 100W (S&V test confirmed that, again, I read it directly from S&V. I own a copy of the January issue. I think the Sony is power supply limited, but not amplifier limited.

2. The HKAVR325 is smilarly equipped and priced as the DA4ES, and it is rated for 7X50W, presumably with all 7 channels driven simultaneously. Yes I too, prefer manufacturers specify their equipment this way, it takes the guess work out of it. However, while the Sony DA4ES is not rated for 7X110W with all channels driven simultaneously, they may pass for 7X50W. Based on the power rating of the power supply, I think it is likely that it will.

To me, the Sony DA4ES seem to have stronger amplifiers but the AVR325 seem to have a stronger, and likely better power supply. Which unit would do better in terms of power output would therefore depend on the contents of the multichannel source.

I think we all agree that HK is more forthcoming with their specifications, but it is not necessarily, or automatically true to say that they give higher output, when compared to similarly equipped and priced Sony, Denon, Yamaha or other major brand products. That's why I suggested that one needs to look at the specifications as a whole. Also, it is only fair to compare products by different manufacturers if the products being compared are similarly equipped and priced.

Thanks again for your comments.

Shiu

Second Unit
Johnny, please also note that the HK units in the chart you were referring to, were tested with 5 channels driven, 1 kHz into 8 ohms at 0.3% harmonic distortion.

Similar test, but 2 channels driven only, conducted by S&V gives the Sony 140 W for 8 ohm, and 209 W for 4 ohm load. So in terms of each individual channel (amplifier) output, the Sony also exceeded its specified rating.

Let me quote S&V Jan 2003 issue page 58 under the "In the lab" section:

"Stereo performance,.... Output at clipping (1 kHz, 8/4 ohms, both channel driven).....140/209 W............"

"Sony's STR-DA4ES produced excellent numbers throughout, with noise performance within about 1 dB of the theorectical ideal, excellent power readings that show its specs to be quite conservative, and accurate, closely balanced channel response. (Our standard all-channels-driven powerr measurement could not be taken because, Sony tells us, the receiver wwas not designed to deliver full power to all channels simultaneously".

If someone read the notes at the bottom of the chart your link points to, he/she would not get the full picture.

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
wow! thanks all :. i have info to add that i think would be important to my question. i will be using my set up for movies and also music but mostly music. as for features i really only want all chanel pre outs and is must have 5-7 chanel stereo mode. i love 6Ch stereo on my 810 ... aslong as i can hook my DVD player up to it and maybe a few extra digital inputs... compsite/S-video in out and such .... i know most ht reciver have these but just inc ase you know... and im looking at the Sony 2ES so far but i dont trust sony amps. and also i have a $800 budget now because i sold one of my computers. there arent really any local dealers for Marantz so i cant really demo it or anyhting i guess ill have to take ur word on them. thank you for all the help so far. and also i would concider HK but they dont play loud or so i hear i have tryed the AVR125 and 225 and did not like either one but i did like the really expensive one forgot what model it was .. out of my budget its like $1500 i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks