What's new

receiver $400 price range? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
To me, the Sony DA4ES seem to have stronger amplifiers but the AVR325 seem to have a stronger, and likely better power supply.
But the power supply is the engine driving the thing! No power, no amplification!

It's CURRENT (amperes) that drives speakers and this is exactly what the Sony seems to be lacking. In my opinion, S&V is being 'politically correct' with their comment on the Sony which just seems to shrug off the issue.

Oh and that THD figure for the H/K's is 0.03.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
and also i would concider HK but they dont play loud or so i hear i have tryed the AVR125 and 225 and did not like either one
You have to keep in mind that loud volume is not as fatiguing on the ear as distortion is. If you turn it up and it hurts your ear, that's usually distortion doing a number on your eardrums. Clean power at high volume doesn't actually sound 'loud' like many people think it does. A quick check on an SPL meter will tell you what's really going on.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
But the power supply is the engine driving the thing! No power, no amplification!
That is true to a point, but I think real-world considerations need to come into play here. Powering a bunch of resistors on a test bench is very different from watching a movie.

I haven't seen a movie yet that has equal sound coming from all speakers, expecially during louder scenes. Usually one or two speakers are producing the majority of the sound. In such a case, a reciever capable of putting out 130Wx2 is likely to do as well, if not better, than a reciever that can put out 50W x 7.

Mark

Shiu

Second Unit
Johnny, I used your link again and double checked the numbers. The 0.03% your quoted was for the AVR7000 and AVR8000. For clarity, I pasted the column heading here:

Distortion @ 1w - 8 ohms (THD+N %, 1 kHz)

For the same test (under the same column), the Sony DA4ES's number is 0.02%, or 0.03% for 4 ohm (S&V Jan issue page 58)

The 0.3% I quoted was for another one of S&V's standard test(again I pasted it from the note at the bottom of the chart):

* = 1 KHz into 8 Ohms / Clipping point = 0.3% THD + Noise (APR '01 - pg.44) I believe S&V do this same test for everybody, HK, or Sony, same test. And I am quoting these numbers directly from your source(S&V)and can be viewed by anyone who follows the link you provided.

By the way, I think the 1 kHz test may appear useless at first glance, but they also verified the frequency response for 20 to 20,000 hz with distortion numbers, so the combined test results are not as bad as they first looked.

I know I am unable to change your mind but thanks again for taking the time to respond. I won't bother you again.

Shiu

Second Unit
Lyden, there are some interesting reviews on a couple of Onkyo, a Denon 4802 and a Sony STR-DA5ES. Follow this link
http://www.audioholics.com/productre..._hotpicks1.php

Many Sony Stores still have the DA5ES (Demos) on display. I don't trust many of the Sony amplifiers neither but the DA5ES apparently is well built and received favorable reviews by their owners. If you can't even trust the DA5ES, I guess your elevated budget should allow you to go for a 7.1 Marantz, HKAVR325, or even an entry level NAD. I think it is important to listen to them before making your final decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks