What's new

rear surrounds. direct radiating or dipole? (1 Viewer)

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
I have finally made up my mind to go with the M&K S-150 TXH system. I have a 350 sub and I am going to add a SVS PB12 plus 2 sub. I decided to upgrade to a 7.1 system and I have to figure out what speaker to buy for the rear surrounds. I am using M&Ks SS-150 dipole surrounds for the left and right surrounds. I am going to go with a much cheaper solution for the rear surrounds but I don't know if I should go with another dipole or direct radiating speakers. Also, the S-150s are 4 ohm speakers. Do I absolutely have to go with a 4 ohm speaker or can I use a decent 8 ohm satallite speaker? Thanks for the help.:)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
For movies (HT) I love dipoles the best. I have had several direct radiators both floor standers and bookshelfs but have gone back to Dipoles for the sides. Just better diffusion and much much better for non localization of say "fly bys, explosions, background noises and such" in movies. Some like them for music too. Is there a magic answer for both? Only your ears can determine that. I like my music all up front but on like concert DVD's that are 5.1dd or what ever they sound wonderful with dipoles...

was this what you were looking for...

Good luck
Mike

RyanJE

Second Unit
I hate to say but this thread is going to get you no where its a bag of worms. The answer to this is so opinionated it wont help you. Youll just have to listen to both, which is hard to do.

Dolby suggests direct radiating, but bi-poles do have there pros, as previously stated.

if you find a place that has a 30 money back guarantee, you can try both and return the ones you don't like as well.

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help. I am definately going to go with the dipoles for the surrounds but I don't know if I should bother to go with dipoles for the rear surrounds. I don't want a super expensive solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks