What's new

Who uses dipole surrounds? (1 Viewer)

JimHaskell

Grip
I used Cambridge Soundwords dipoles in my old Pro-Logic system, but bought direct radiating speakers when I upgraded to 5.1. My receiver is a 6.1 receiver, so I thought about using the direct radiating speakers as the rear channel (in series) and then using the dipoles as surrounds again.

I wasn't going to do this originally. As you may remember, in pro-logic, the rear channel uses a limited frequency range. I thought the Cambridge speakers weren't full range (and was about to Ebay them), but I called the company and found out the are rated 90 Hz to 20 kHz. So that reason for not using them is gone. Is there any other reason not to use them now?

JimHaskell

Grip
I found the article you mentioned by clicking that link and doing a site search for "dipole.' It was a good read. thanks!

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I had dipoles when dolby first came out. I then went to floor standers (Def Tech or NHT can't remember now which was first) but then had matching rears as the fronts that were big. I wound up missing the dipoles as my main listening is for HT use. I did one last pair of the same on my next pair and decided if I ever did do new speakers it would be back to dipole. I like music all up front for the most part anyway with what little I do use it for. Anyway I got Rockets 750's, 200. 300's that are dipole and now would never go back to a direct radiator. They are so much better for HT at least for me. Now in a 7.1 system there might be a better way but I am only doing 5.1 and will for some time due to room lay out. I spent way more on my other speakers over the last 7-8 years than I did on the Rockets and did I mention to say that I had dual NHT 12" subs with 800 Watts each into them that I got an SVS PB2+ now called the PB12+ that kicked them to no compairison. They were gone immediatly. I am set up good for HT now.. NEver to go to a theater again!

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought a pair of Cambridge Newton S300 surrounds and am using them with Def Tech BP 2002 and CLR 2002 across the front. While the 300's are switchable between direct, bipole, and dipole, I have found the bipole to be my favorite for both movies and music. I have them mounted at the sides of my listening position, about 6 1/2 feet high.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks