What's new

Rear Speakers on End Tables (1 Viewer)

Shalen

Grip
I will be setting up my HT in January and wonder if it would be fine to put my rear speakers on end tables instead of Speaker stands. Are there any drawbacks to it or do you feel it will work fine?
Thanks
Shalen

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I assume these will be on either side of the sofa, i.e., where you will be sitting as you watch the TV?
If so, this is not a good idea.
  • First, they are too close. At close range the sound is highly directional and therefore distracting. The rear speakers should not distract from what’s happening on the screen.
  • Second, they will be below ear level. Surround speakers should above ear level, or at least at ear level.
  • Third, anybody sitting at the end positions on the sofa will hear only the speaker next to them, and the other one hardly at all. If there are three people on the sofa, the people on the end will block the sound from the person in the center.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List
[Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on November 10, 2001 at 09:05 PM]

Shalen

Grip
Thanks for the reply. If it is a bad idea what would be the best way stands or wall mounts? Could anyone provide a website that has both stands and wall mounts at good prices?
Thanks
Shalen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks