What's new

Rear Channel Recommendations Needed (1 Viewer)

Mike--M

Grip
Hello again,

I am looking for a recommendation on type and placement of my rear channel speakers. My room is:

13.3' wide
15.5' deep
the ceiling slants from right (8' high) to left (10.5' high)

My couch sits against the back wall. I was looking at bipole speakers like the Monitor Audio Silver series SFXI but am wondering if I should go with satelites or bookshelfs instead.

Please make recommendations on type and placement.

Thanks, Mike

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
You didn't mention what speakers you have for center and mains. Technically, you should look into getting matched rear channels (same brand/sub-brand), but I find it much less important than making sure your center and mains are matched.

I believe the "optimal" setup is having the same 5/6/7 speakers all the way around for the most consistent sound but that isn't necessarily feasible in the majority of scenarios.

Mike--M

Grip
Thanks for the reply. I have not purchased any speakers yet. I am replacing a frankensien set that I have had for 15 years. I am really looking for if I should get bookshelf (that can be aimed for desired listening with HT) or wall mounted ones like the Monitor Audio ones n the original post. I like the MA type better but am not sure if they will work with my room setup. They would be on a wall behind me and with my couch I sit about .5' from the wall. Would bookshelf on stands be better, since I can aim them sideways? Or woudl the other ones be OK?

Thanks again

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator
First, start at the low end of the price spectrum and audition as many speakers as you can get your hands on. [rant]In your setting if at all possible.[/rant] Stop when their sound pleases [rant]you[/rant], or you run out of money - whichever comes first. :)

Second, experiment with placement. In my case, I started with my surrounds in the theoretically "ideal" location and didn't like it. Too directional. While consulting the Dolby website (Take a look!), I was surprised to see the suggestion of placing them on their backs on the floor. What the heck. So I tried it. Shazam! The speakers disappeared and I became enveloped in a sound field. EXPERIMENT! :D

Don't forget to get your self a sound meter. Get the cheapest one. Great investment.

Mike--M

Grip
Thanks for the input. What is the general consensus of Axiom speakers? I am looking to get the following:

M60T1
VP150
QS8

I have the Yamaha RX-V630 receiver (75w x 6).

Questions:

1. If you agree that Axioms would be good, should I go with the center and rears noted, or step down to the next level?

2. I saw a sound meter at radio shack for $49.99 is this a god one or can you recommend a better one?

Joel()Les

Agent

That's good news; because I was thinking of doing the same thing because of space limitations.

FWIW, I just bought some JMLab Chorus 706s for the front and went with their smaller 705s for surround. Most of the voice will come from your front 3 speakers, so the backs can be generally a little lesser in quality for those on a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks