What's new

Really cool optical illusion project (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Mine doesn't work. Maybe it's my bad cutting and following instruction. I think it would work better in natural light because right now I can see all the creases. Still, the video on the site is really neat.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
It works brilliantly for me. Lighting and seeing the creases shouldn't matter... it should look like a three dimensional folded object even when the illusion is working. Keep in mind that the head will be inside out if folded correctly. It's much easier to look at the end of the video to see how it's done than to look at the little picture on the sheet.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I built it wrong the first time as well as I had the head out the normal way instead of inside out. Once I got that fixed it works like a charm :emoji_thumbsup:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
After some head scratching during assembly, I finally got it to work!

Alex-C

Screenwriter
this illusion reminds me of the busts in the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland that appear to follow you as you walk by.

Really they are inverted busts (for lack of a better description).

I always loved that..from 10 yrs old to now......11 yrs old.

haha...(only in spirit)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's not clear to me what the illusion is supposed to be.
The eyes on ANY 2D-picture, if looking at you, will continue to do that wherever you walk around it. (And if they don't, there's no place where you can stand to make it appear they do look at you.)

Once, while I visited Vienna, the guide in the famous 'Schloss Schonbrun' pointed out a painting, in which the left (or right) shoe of the person would seem to point at the viewers and remarked: "Note how it continues to point at you as you walk on. They don't know how to paint that effect anymore".
Pure nonsense of course: if it points at you it will do so wherever you are standing in relation to the painting.

Cees

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Cees: did you watch the videos? Its more apparant in the video what the illusion is

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Nick,

No, I didn't, because the link refused to work last night when I tried.

OK, I'll give it another try! (Still sceptical, though. :) ).

Cees

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Drug-free hallucinations are cool.

I, too, built it wrong until I watched the video and looked more closely at the second picture on the web page. Very cool once I got my eyes and mind to "work right".

The only trouble is now people are going to see me staring at this thing and bobbing my head around like a retard.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I put this thing together sometime last week or the week before. Once it "clicks", it's pretty sweet. I didn't rely to much on the drawing of the assembled dragon to make it, I just followed the "valley" and "mountain" fold lines on the drawing.

Brian

Michael Toguchi

Stunt Coordinator
I just put it together, and it works quite well. I had to do the close one eye thing to make the illusion work better, but that my be due to the lighting in my room currently as it dramatically highlights the shadowing which is inconsistent with the lighting in the room. My daughter thought I was crazy (she's 9) until the illusion kicked in for her. Now she wants me to make another one...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Finally been able to see the video.
Great illusion! :emoji_thumbsup:
(Downloaded the dragon. Not cut out yet.)

Cees

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I can't get the thing to print on one page without resizing it. It prints out huge. (I'm using Photoshop)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Bryan,

After loading it to Photoshop, the dot resolution should be 200 dpi (if it's not, change it, but keep the file size the same).
That should do the trick. (BTW, I wonder if scaling it when printing isn't as good an image.)

Cees

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I used "scale to fit media" in Photoshop's "print with preview" and it looked fine and works perfectly.
Lack of depth perception is the key to the trick, so it shouldn't work at all with two eyes open. It's perfect for cameras since a camera has one eye.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I scaled it down in Photoshop and it worked great. I had to close one eye too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks