What's new

Questions for Lexicon DC-1 users (1 Viewer)

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of a used Lexicon DC-1. My previous processor was a Sony EP9ES which performed superbly but wasn't flexible enough. I'm looking forward to hearing DTS and Logic 7 for the first time. Once I get another set of speakers (and amps) I can try out THX EX. I was wondering if anyone on this board has any experience with the Lexicon and what their opinions are of its performance. With every processor I've heard, during quite scenes in movies you can still hear hissing from the speakers if you are within a couple of feet of them. Does this relate to noise floor? How is the DC-1 in this regard? Can I use Logic 7 with only 5 speakers for the time being? I've heard it does wonders for pro-logic and 2-channel sources but can it also be used in combination with DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1? Is this advisable with only 5 speakers? I apologize for the smattering of questions, but this is the most significant HT purchase I have made as of yet and I am both anxious and confused. Any feedback would be much obliged! Thanks...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The DC-1 is very quiet. If you hear hiss, it will probably be from your amp, not the DC-1. (The MC-1 is even quieter.)
Logic7 can definitely be used with 5 speakers, and if you have the latest software (which I assume you do, since you mentioned THX EX) there's even a separate setting for 5-speaker enhance. Even if you don't turn on that setting, though, the DC-1 adapts Logic7 to a 5-speaker setup, assuming you've correctly configured the basic setup (i.e., by telling it that you have rear speakers but no side speakers).
With 5 speakers, the impact of Logic7 will be most noticeable on 2-channel sources. It will be much less noticeable with 5.1 discrete sources.
M.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
When my ex-favorite high-end shop was unwilling to arrange for me to demo processors using the same speakers and amplification, I figured that as long as I was stuck without a proper audition I ought to buy something both 1) used and 2) popular so I could unload it without a loss if it didn't work out. The DC-1 looked like what I wanted if a bit dated and was a real bargain so I tried it first and was pleasantly surprised - the onboard DACs were both more fluid and detailed than those in my $700 CD player, it did real well on movies, I found the Fletcher-Munson curve based loudness control actually worth using, and while I'm still uncomfortable with the idea of two channel music being split amongst more speakers the Lexicon implementation seems different rather than bad. Six months later, I'm still real happy with it.
1. Logic-7 sounds more natural than THX-EX on un-encoded discs and can send effects to either rear speaker independantly making it somewhat more interesting on some THX-EX DVDs. Presumably this is why most Lexicon owners seem to leave their processors in Logic-7 mode on 5.1 and DTS sources.
2. Although not as good as a DC-2/MC-1, the noise floor is still low. I need to get within a few inches of the teeters on my somewhat sensitive (> 90dB/1W/1 meter) speakers to get hiss versus 6-12" with the Adcom preamp/tuner I was running before.
3. Logic-7 can simulate rear speakers (5-channel enhance) when you just have side surrounds, although the sense of envelopment isn't what you get with two pairs of surrounds. If you're going to buy a Lexicon, you really want to add the second pair.
4. There are multiple logic-7 flavors - for PCM, 5.1 AC-3, 2.0 AC-3, and DTS. All flavors beat straight Dolby/DTS
processing and the same with THX or THX-EX embelishments although the degree really depends on the source, and the effects are more significant with 7 speakers especially on action movies with things flying over/arround you.
FWIW, you probably want to download pdf copies of the owner's and theory-of-operation manuals from www.lexicon.com. You may also want to read selected archives from the Lexicon support forum at www.smr-forums.com especially those relating to bass management where Lexicon does things a bit differently.

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff M,
First off let me just say congratulations and you will not regret joining the Lexicon ranks. The DC-1 is still a very viable piece of equipment and Logic 7, IMHO, is awesome. I have had mine for about 3 years now and would not trade it for anything except another Lexicon.
It is interesting to see someone took the same route as I did. I too had an EP9ES but I had mine coupled with a Fosgate 3A to handle older tracks.
The DC-1 is very quiet. The only time I hear anything from it is when the fan winds up for DTS material. As stated, by Michael, you can use 5 channels as long as it is configured as such.
Good Luck!
Thx......Shawn
icon14.gif

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
My previous system: Lexicon CP3+ and Sony EP9ES. I really loved the sound of that combo and the 9ES had really awesome sound quality. That said, the DC-1 is in a league of it's own. Once you listen to logic 7 with 7 speakers there is no turning back. Surround EX is nice too.
Randy

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto the above. Logic 7 is incredible. I did have a ground loop hum because of my cable tv, but a quick fix and every thing is great. You will be amazed what you can do with Lexi processors.
------------------
Luke, I'm your father

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. It sounds like the jump in both performance and flexibility will be substantial over my Sony EP9ES. Looks like that unit will be put up for sale right away... Full Logic 7 sounds awesome! Now if only I could fit the 2 more speakers in my room. Hmmm.....

Jerold Burrow

Auditioning
Hey Guys -
Is Logic 7 on the Lexicon the same as Logic 7 found on HK products? Thanks.
------------------
Jerold Burrow

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
The L7 in the H/K is stripped down, less sophisticated and flexible version of the ones in Lexicon products.
Steve

Patrick Bennett

Stunt Coordinator
My understanding is that the Logic 7 in the HK receivers only supports 5 speakers (don't ask my why they're still calling it Logic-7, but....)
------------------
The Bennett Home Theater: Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks