What's new

Lexicon DC-1: Setup questions....please help (1 Viewer)

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
My first question is how can I run my mains in full range for 2-channel bypass music? I want to keep them set to small with a 40hz crossover for home theater use. My sub is a bit muddy for music, so I'd prefer to run my towers without it. Anyone else doing this?

I also feel a bit guilty having Logic 7 available and not taking advantage. Right now I have 2 pairs of matching Pinnacle Classic Gold Towers. I am debating ordering a 3rd pair so that I can run another tower as the center channel. This will leave me with a spare tower. What can I do with this? I have 6 channels of amplification. What good will a 6th channel do for me? Can I use this setting for logic 7? My software version apparently has DD-EX as well. How many total speakers do I need for this?

Thanks for helping a fellow Lexicon user out!

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
hi jeff,

if you want to listen to music without your sub, you have to set your speakers to *large*. if your power amplifier is strong enough then there should be no problem whatsoever.

to take full advantage of logic7 you need at last 7 speakers
left, center, right, right side, right rear, left side, left rear. logic7 requires TWO rear speakers which run a stereo signal and not like dolby ex/dts es a mono signal.
if you want to run five primary speakers, you can also use the advantages of logic7 too, but of course not in its full glory. this will works because of the HRTF (head relation transfer function) which creates a phantom side or rear image depending if you set your surrounds to side or rear.

however, if you want the full hardware logic7 experience, you have to buy two more pairs of speakers with one left for whatever you may need or another pair AND a dedicated center speaker.

regards, holger

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
holger,

i run L7 with 6 speakers - my center is phantom (fireplace); still beats dd/ex setup.

jeff, another option is to get a decent preamp with simple unity gain, set up DC for Logic7/small speakers; run outs for mains into preamp, then to amp for speakers; connect your 2 channel into pream, and this way you have 2 channel rig for music and 7 for HT. Folks here like Sony analog preamp; you can get used Parasound PL/D for a song on Audiogon.

regards,

_zjt

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff....

You can't!! You would have to go inside the menu each time you wanted to make the change. I don't know of a unit that does what you want. Use 5 spks w/Logic7 enhance. There's nothing like a "properly" set-up Logic 7 rig. I still run a fully loaded DC-1/L7 (full range tower spks) with a smile on my face. The lastest doesn't always turn out to be the greatest. Good luck!!

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Jeff,

You can indeed do this.

What you can do is set your speakers to large and sub to on with 40Hz (or whatever) crossover. Then go into the Effects Adjust menu for two channel and turn the subwoofer off.

Do the same for any other effects you don't want the sub for, ie Logic 7 music or whatever.

This way you will have just your front speakers and no sub for two channel music, and you will have the sub on for multichannel. You will be duplicating the bass, but for movies this shouldn't matter.

I also run speakers for a L7 6.1 with a phantom center. If I were you, I would get the extra set of speakers. Try six speakers and no center, and then try with a center and see which you prefer.

Cheers

Steve

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all you suggestions. I'm a little bit confused about running Logic 7 with a 6.1 configuration and a phantom center. Where does the 6th speaker go? What preamp output do I hook up to the amplifier that will be powering this 6th speaker? I also have a question for Stephen - If I do set my crossover to 40hz and then turn the sub off under the 2-channel effects setup, won't all information under 40hz be lost?

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Using six speakers with a phantom center you would have your front left and right, side L&R and rear L&R, with obviously no center. The Lex gives stereo rears in Logic 7 rather than the mono of DD-EX so most users use L7 rather than EX.

Selecting Large speakers with a 40Hz crossover means that you will actually be duplicating the bass up to 40Hz instead of losing it for settings where you have the sub on.

Since you would only have this for movies, that shouldn't be a problem, although not strictly accurate. The proviso here is that your main speakers can handle the bass, which would depend how loud you play them.

Alternatively, you could get a better sub, play with sub positioning or use an EQ like the Behringer Feedback Destoryer to improve the bass.

Cheeers

Steve

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Stephen! It is all starting to make a wee bit of sense now. I wonder if running Logic 7 with a phantom center would be better than 5.1 with an actual center... Any idea?

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
In my situation, the answer was yes. I prefer a phantom center to any center I heard with my fronts (Wilson WATTs), and I watch usually on my own so a center wasn't so important.

Others may tell you different.

Cheers

Steve

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff another resource for you and all Lexicon owners is at SMR Home Theater and Audio. They have a forum dedicated to Lexicon...lot's of great information...also will get replies from the Lexicon tech staff as well.
www.smr-forums.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks