What's new

Questions about mixing and matching speakers and my choice of Receivers. (1 Viewer)

James__D

Auditioning
I finally decided to get a set of Athena Point 5 speakers with a AS-P300 Sub which I set up in my HT and they sound great.

Now, I obviously can't leave well enough alone :) and I'm already planning to upgrade my audio setup, integrating my new purchase into the mix.

I was planning to upgrade my receiver to a Pioneer VSX-D815 with 7.1 capability and also add a set of Athena AS-F2.2 floorstanders in front.

That would mean 2 AS-F2.2 floorstanders in front, a C.5 Center speaker, 2 S.5 satellites on each side and the other 2 S.5s in the back with a AS-P300 pushing out some nice lows.

What I need to know is, First, will the Pioneer receiver take those speakers and also can I mix the Point 5 set with the Audition floorstanders and still have a good sounding system?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Athena claims their speakers are 8-ohm “compatible,” which sounds kinda fishy. If they indeed are 8-ohm then the Pioneer won’t have any trouble driving them. As to how well the F2’s and 5.5’s will work together, I’m reminded of what I heard a home theater salesman tell a customer once about the importance of the rear speakers: “You don’t want that jet plane to sound like a Piper cub by the time it gets to the back of the room.” Since the 5.5’s have really small woofers compared to the F2’s, you might experience some of that. However, it appears that the timbre matching between the two should be pretty good.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BillyHC

Agent
I currently have two Athena AS-F2 mains with the Point 5 system filling in the rest of my 7.1 set up. With an SVS PB12-Ultra for a sub.

The Point 5's and the Audition series work great together, though I think I'll eventually replace the center (it's a ever so slightly anemic compared to the F2's)

You can also do a phantom center with the F2's.

In short: yes, you can mix audition with point 5. the point 5's will sound a little weaker compared to the F2's though.

(Edit: in case you're wondering, I have a Yamaha 5790 receiver)

(Edit 2: and yes, the PB12-Ultra costs more than the rest of the system combined... I don't plan on ever upgrading the sub after this, but the speakers will eventually go upstairs)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks