What's new

Polk Audio Speaker Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Marcel_D.

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcel Dorma
I was at Future Shop the other day and I came across the Polk Audio CSi3 center for only $90. I've read about the center before and decided to pick it up since I didn't have a decent center. It was the last one and since it was on display they took the price down to $65 so I was pretty happy about that.

After some listening I came to the conclusion that it sounded really good, at least compared to what I have. I read that the current RTi line of Polk's is getting replaced soon so places like Future Shop and Crutchfield which are both Canadian dealers have some great deals on them.

I'm just having trouble deciding on what to get for the rest of the system. The receiver will be an Onkyo TX-SR805 so I've been considering a 7.1 setup but I don't know how much I'll benefit from that. The sub will be an SVS or HSU, nothing too big.

I've considered the RTi10s but they seem to have mixed reviews and require a lot of power. I could bi-amp them with the Onkyo but then that would leave 7.1 out of the question if I choose that route.

The RTi8s seem like a great choice as long as you pair them with a good sub and some RTi6's would match the drivers as surrounds but I'm still not sure if this is a good setup.

Finally my room size is 20' x 13' x 7' (LxWxH). (Oddball dimensions, I know.)

Brent_S

Second Unit
I'm not sure there's actually a question here, but I'll offer my .02 if that's what you're looking for.

With a decent sub, such as an SVS or HSU, you really don't need tower mains, IMO. I use RTi38s (previous generation of the RTi6) all around with a DIY 15" sub in a 24x16x9 dedicated theater room. They've got enough bass to be used stand alone for music, depending on tastes, but clearly still benefit from a sub. I'd save your money and get a full complement of RTi6s, myself.

As for the 8s or 10s, just because a speaker will handle more power (due to larger and more drivers) doesn't mean you need to give it more power. The 1 watt efficiency is probably actually higher on the towers than the bookshelves because for a given driver, a larger enclosure is more efficient.

-Brent

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Even though RTi10's are rated @ 8 ohms I've also read/heard that they will often go much lower than that which is why some think they require more juice than the 8's. But I would think an Onkyo 805 should be enough for either.

greecemonky

Auditioning
Real Name
Dimitri D
I have a TX-NR901 and the last generation Polk speakers. IMO the Onkyo is a little weak on the bass so I would suggest going for the biggest Polk towers you can afford. You may also want to try an upper-middle range Yamaha receiver, much better match for the Polk's.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I understand there is a replacement lineup coming for the RTis. I would probably wait to see what that was unless you need to buy right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks