What's new

Newbie – need help choosing speakers for 5.1 setup. ~ 3000 budget (1 Viewer)

_Shawn_

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
Hello everyone,

I'm just starting the process of replacing a Bose system that walked away, and i'm little overwhelmed by all of the choices. I'm looking for a 5.1 setup that I may eventually expand to a 6.1 or 7.1 after I finish a dedicated room (move it out of the living room). I have done a little looking and like the sound of the Paradigm Studio 100s(pricy), also like the sound of the Klipsch RF-83. The Paradigm Monitor 11 series was the only system that I was able to listen to a full 5.1 setup. It sounded good but not as good as the studio series main speakers.

The room that I'll be placing them in will be 12 by 21 with about a 12 by 14 area dedicated to the Home theater setup. I have a 46 inch LCD HD Tv. I plan on spending an additional 500 to 800 on a receiver in addition to my speaker budget.
My budget is a little flexible but keeping it under 3k is ideal.

So my questions are…
1) Should I stick with a Bose system, just replace the missing system with what I had before? I really did like the small size, and the RF remote.

2) If I stray from Bose (would like to), Which speakers will sound the best for music, and good for a surround 5.1 system? Front? Sub? and surround? Just need a place to start. If there are any brands/lines that I should steer clear of please let me know.

3) Can I mix and match Brands and lines to achieve a small from factor on the center, and rear speakers to make the most of the limited space in the current room. I would prefer to spend most of my cash on the main and sub. But I’m not sure if this would be wise in a 5.1 setup.

Bepaof8

Agent
Real Name
Pete
FWIW - I just bought a 5.1 setup. Paradigm Monitor 5's (front), CC-370 (center) and ADP-370 surrounds. For the subwoofer I got a SVS PB12-NSD/2. They sound wonderful!

You could get Monitor 11's instead of the 5's and have a quality sound way beyond anything Bose could do! It might be difficult to find them all together to audition them though. I had to go on faith, but it worked out great!

Good luck.
Pete

Steve Adams

Second Unit
stay far away from bose. Have a look at rocket, axiom, swan, JBL, paradigm, PSB, athena, energy for some speakers...go listen to what sounds good. My picks for a receiver would be pioneer elite, integra, onkyo, sherwood newcastle...av123 has seperates for a good price as well....or sherwood newcastle for seperates...

_Shawn_

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
You do have a very nice setup. There is a dealer here in denver that has almost all of the paradigm line. I've had a chance to listen to the entire Paradigm studio line and monitor line. They sound great.

I'm pretty much sold on the Paradigm speakers but because I did not consider wiring in my original budget they will be too much.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to skimp on wiring? (i'm still reviewing posts for answers to this one, bet there is a lot of info on this one already)

Or, speakers that sound as good for a lower price.

I have had a hard time finding stores that have rocket, axiom, swan, JBL, PSB, athena, or energy speakers setup in a 5.1.

AndrewLevine

Stunt Coordinator
for wiring see bluejeanscable.com while this is not 'skimping' on wiring, you are most likely getting the best quality stuff for your money.

AL

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
For internet direct like Axiom, SVS, Ascend etc. etc. you can either find owners in your area or buy, listen and return. Most have some program that let you listen for a period and then can return them.

_Shawn_

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
Thank you for the help!

I ended up getting the Paradigm Studio 60's with the CC-470 and a Seismic10 for the sub. Just have to wait for them to arrive.

All i have left to choose is the Receiver. I'm leaning towards a 130 watt Yamaha.

(I'm holding off on the rears and will use some bookshelves for a short time.)

Thanks again,

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Good choice Shawn. I have also listened to the Paradigm studio 60's and they were a very sweet sounding speaker. I was going to suggest Rocket's by av123 as well because they are not too far away from where you live. They are located in Broomfield. I almost went that route until I decided on the Premier Acoustic PA-6F towers. If you are ever in Co Springs let me know and I'll let you listen to them.

Bepaof8

Agent
Real Name
Pete
I've got the Yamaha RX-V659 Receiver. It works well with Paradigm.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks