What's new

Questions about JBL NSP1.... (1 Viewer)

Ryan Stone

Auditioning
Im going to get the NSP1 speaker set, but i have a few questions before i buy. First, Do they come with wall mounting brakets? Do the brackets allow you to point the speakers any direction? The center speaker is rated at 150 watts, but my reciver only puts out 100watts(well, at least it says 100). Will my center speaker be to under powered?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Im going to get the NSP1 speaker set, but i have a few questions before i buy. First, Do they come with wall mounting brakets?

Yes.

Do the brackets allow you to point the speakers any direction?

Pretty much.

The center speaker is rated at 150 watts, but my reciver only puts out 100watts(well, at least it says 100). Will my center speaker be to under powered?

No.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
The information above is 100% accurate and I just wanted to add that I love mine. You simply can't beat the price/value combination. I use the four N24s as surround speakers. Both them and the N-Center sound great when driven with 100-watts (Onkyo in my case). I would recommend larger main left/right speakers though if you can afford to add them later. I'm using N-38s with good results.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
id like to add in that i am also very happy with my nsp1 system, and also that i am running and onkyo 575x reciever, which only has 70w/channel and i havent had any problem with it. chances are ill be upgrading to n26 or n28 mains sometime soon though, but its not because i am unhappy with the n24 speakers

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
I have the NSP-1's and running a Onkyo TX-DS494 rated at 55wx5 . to touch on the question of under power would this be the case with my receiver running the NSP-1's ? they sound great to me on the onkyo but could I damage them ?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
... the question of under power would this be the case with my receiver running the NSP-1's ? they sound great to me on the Onkyo but could I damage them ?
If you use the following snap-shot SPL vs. Power chart, you can determine why is 'sounds great' too you w/your Onkyo.
RULES:
SPL = To HEAR an Audible Increase in loudness, the SPL source must increase by 3 dB min.
Watts = To Increase SPL by 3 dB would require Doubling the power output ( Watts x 2 )
JBL N24 Rating: Sensitivity = 86 dB @ 1 watt (from) 1 meter
MAX. Power = 100w per channel
CHART:
Watt(s)..SPL(dB)
1........86 (N24s rating)
64.......104 (Dolby Digital Home Theater SPL Level)
For a more detailed SPL vs. Watts vs. Room, use C.M.Collins excellent SPL Calculator.
Now, using a power subwoofer reduces your Onkyo AMP requirement to pump out those 100 dB SPL's, and that's good! This all means that I don't think, (if you use common sense**) you can harm your JBL NSP1 setup.
**Precautions:
1) Do not drive the amplifier into clipping. Clipping sounds something like a stylus mistracking. and generally occurs on loud passages when the system is played at loud volume levels. If clipping occurs regularly, turn down the volume level or install a larger amplifier that can deliver the required power without distortion.
2) Practice audio precaution. Do not play the system loudly with excessive bass boost, which can easily cause the amplifier to be over-driven. Remember, a 3-dB increase in volume is just noticeable to the ear, but requires double the amplifier power, and many tone controls are capable of providing boost of 15 dB.
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks