Buying Dilema - Refurbished or Not?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Justin Friedman, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Justin Friedman

Hi,

I am purchasing the JBL NSP1 with the hopes of buy bigger main speakers in the future for a 7.1 setup. That said, and after hours of reading, I believe I have narrowed down my search for a receiver to the Pioneer VSX 811S for $219 from Etronics or the Onkyo SR 600 for $299 REFURBISHED from OneCall. I'm more inclined to go with the Onkyo since I have no desire to use an amp and everything about it seems better than the Pioneer save the fact that it doesn't have 2 bindings for the rear surrounds but I hear it's possible to split the one since that's what 2 rear channels would do anyway. Aside from that, my question is should I worry about a refurbished product from OneCall? Is the $299 price I'm seeing for such a product good? Is there anything better than the Onkyo for the price I'm seeing? Thanks!

Justin

2. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about onecall specifically, but as long as the item has the full manufacturers warranty buying refurbished has never bothered me. However, any refurbished item may not be cosmetically perfect, and in fact might look pretty bad so if appearances are important then buying refurbished items is risky.

3. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

I bought 2 H/Ks from HarmonAudio.com. The AVR 220 & the AVR 110. Both have 2 yrs warrenty. The 110 craped out on me so HarmonAudio.com is sending me the AVR 120. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've owned one refurb Marantz receiver and never had a problem with it. Buying a refurb is taking a bit more of a risk, however, as long as it is covered by the manufacturer's warranty, you should not have to worry about anything except having to wait for a swap/repair/replacement if you do have a problem.