Question! What to do on which receiver.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott_tinari, Sep 7, 2001.

1. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

I already have the Marantz sr5200, I like it but it doesn't have the AB Speaker switch so I can play music in another room. And I also dont really need the 6.1 channel processing because my apartment is small. So I was considering get the Marantz sr6200 or going with the Pioneer Eilte 35tx or 36tx. People peobably thibk Iam nuts but what should I do. Thanks

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

So you want the ability to toggle between 2 sets of speakers?
    There are devices called "Speaker Selector" box's that allow you to hook up several sets of speakers to a single receiver. The inexpensive ones sell for about $25 at radio shack with push-button A/B operation. The better ones can have remote-controls and sell for $200+ by Niles.
    They are configured so that your receiver never sees less than a 8 ohm load. (Simply connecting 2 sets of speakers in parallel makes the combo look like a 4 ohm speaker - could draw too much current).
    The only problem I see is that your receiver may try to use all 5 speakers to play music and you are going to put the L/R speakers in another room. This might sound funny so you need to be sure your receiver has a mode to only use the L/R speakers. Then your second set of speakers will work fine.
    Good Luck.