What's new

Question! What to do on which receiver. (1 Viewer)

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
I already have the Marantz sr5200, I like it but it doesn't have the AB Speaker switch so I can play music in another room. And I also dont really need the 6.1 channel processing because my apartment is small. So I was considering get the Marantz sr6200 or going with the Pioneer Eilte 35tx or 36tx. People peobably thibk Iam nuts but what should I do. Thanks

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
So you want the ability to toggle between 2 sets of speakers?
There are devices called "Speaker Selector" box's that allow you to hook up several sets of speakers to a single receiver. The inexpensive ones sell for about $25 at radio shack with push-button A/B operation. The better ones can have remote-controls and sell for $200+ by Niles.
They are configured so that your receiver never sees less than a 8 ohm load. (Simply connecting 2 sets of speakers in parallel makes the combo look like a 4 ohm speaker - could draw too much current).
The only problem I see is that your receiver may try to use all 5 speakers to play music and you are going to put the L/R speakers in another room. This might sound funny so you need to be sure your receiver has a mode to only use the L/R speakers. Then your second set of speakers will work fine.
Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks