What's new

Best Ways to Listen to Live Radio Using an AV Receiver. (1 Viewer)

BluHT

Agent
Real Name
D Manning
Hello.

I still listen to live radio once in a while and would like to do that using my a.v. receiver, a Denon AVRX4700H.

But, the listening experience, of course, is dictated by how clear a signal can be received. Unfortunately, the signal I receive is very weak to nonexistent. I believe this is due largely to the location of my receiver, which is not near any windows. Its may also be hampered by my location on a block filled with apartment buildings. But, I feel I should still be able to receive a decent signal somehow.

My question is: what are the best ways to receive a good live radio signal in these circumstances?

Should I try to find a good antenna and use it with an extremely long cable? Long enough, that is, to be able to position the antenna in a better position within the apartment? Or, maybe there’s a better solution?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I find a basic, cheap dipole antenna usually works extremely well on FM when it’s oriented properly.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Since you have a Denon, use Heos and go to TuneIn and select local stations. Most broadcast stations are streaming.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Another option would be to get a streaming device like a Roku or Apple TV. That would allow you to use various apps/services in addition to TuneIn to find the radio stations you want to listen to. In addition to TuneIn, there is iHeart Radio, Audacy, etc. Some stations even have their own dedicated app.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
This is a handy site to help identify the locations and signal quality of stations in your area. It can be a big help with antenna selection/placement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks