What's new

Question on Speaker Configuration (1 Viewer)

NickCa

Auditioning
I am in the process of building a house and have dedicated a large room for my home theater. In the process I have assembled a plan for the speakers. Although I am going to use a 7.1 configuration I am considering using 9 speakers total. The room is roughly 14 ft. wide b 25 ft. long. On the front wall I am going to have one left and right channel (JBL L890 - Studio L Series 4-Way Dual 8" - 200mm - Floorstanding Speaker), two center channel (JBL LC2 - Studio L Series 4-Way Dual 6" - 150mm - Wall-Mount Center Speaker). I am using a Da-Lite Cinema Contour screen and am planning to place the two center speakers both above and below the screen. Although I understand these are powerful speakers I was recommended that placing a speaker above and below the screen would provide a better narration environment for the viewers (being a surround configuration).

For the surround channels I will have a total of 5 L810 - Studio L Series 3-Way 5-1/4" (130mm) Bokshelf/Wall-Mount Satellite Speakers. These speakers wil be setp on 3 differen walls. On the way to the left of the audience will be two speakers, one on the right (due to a door), and two on the rear wall. I know that this may be alot of speakers (and may not provide better quality than the 7.1 configuration) but I was curious that by adding these extra speakers (2 per wall) would increase the sensation of the full surround potential. If using only one speaker per wall would not hinder the overall sound quality I may change my mind. If you could get back to me regarding this I would appreciate it. Thank You.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well I definetly would not put 1 side surround on one side, and two side surrounds on the other side.

I do like very much in a long roomwith multiple rows of seating having 2 side surrounds per side, helps out a ton and is the typical way pay theaters do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks