What's new

Question on CRT's in Rear Projection (1 Viewer)

CarlosV

Auditioning
Now I know Hitachi is a leading manufacturer of crt's for most the RPTV's out there, but which manufacturers actually use Hitachi lenses and are they actually the best lens system out there. Another thing I would like to know is why does Sony and Hitachi only offer auto-convergence and not let us do manual convergence. I've never seen an auto-convergence that actually worked really all that good. So why would these two leading companies not offer that feature? If anyone knows, please let me know.
Thanks

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Sony and Toshiba don't use Hitachi crts.

The last 3 sets I've used had the self-convergence and it worked great on all of them.

My guess would be that no manual option is available in the user menu because the average non-enthusiast would probably only make things worse messing around in there and the mfgs would be stuck with lots of warranty claims for service techs getting things right again.

Hitachi and Sony do allow manual convergence in the service menu. This is more easily accessible on the Sony than the Hitachi. If you check the Sony Tweaks section over at Home Theater Spot you'll find lots of good, and fairly easy service menu tweaks to get rid of red push, turn off or reduce SVM, manual convergence procedures, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks