What's new

Rear projection CRT or LCD? (Hitachi/Toshiba) (1 Viewer)

Grant FS

Auditioning
I've being going through this dilemma as to which new set to buy. I seriously had it down to the Hitachi Rear Proj. LCD (50V500 or 50V810) and the Toshiba 52 DLP.
I have now seen Hitachi's new 16:9 rear projection CRT HDTV slimline model 50F510.
Here is the bottom line...In Alberta, The two hitachi RP LCD's go for $4500 and $3700. The Toshiba DLP is $3600. The new Hitachi 51F510 51" CRT is $2000. All are widescreen HDTV with HDMI inputs. Is the additional $1700-$2500 justifiable?
I know the convergence/dimension issue with CRT's, but really...$2000? I think this is a legitimate question. Would you please give me your input on this?? Thanks all.

Grant

Elinor

Supporting Actor
A high quality RP-CRT will generally give the best overall picture IF YOU CAN CONTROL THE LIGHT in the room. Properly converged and calibrated, it will be sharp, vivid, and have the most depth in the blacks. Personally, I could not control the light PLUS I don't want to deal with burnin issues, which are a real danger.

DLPs will give probably the next best picture, because their contrast ratio is much better than RP-LCD. However, there are rainbow/headache issues for some people. Some of the sets, IMHO, are of substandard quality for the price. I won't name names, but the brand starts with "S" and is from Korea.

RP-LCD is very very bright and sharp but out of the box, the blacks are weak ... like, charcoal gray. THis can be improved if one is the "tweaking" type, by adding a neutral density filter in the light path. This darkens blacks and improves dark detail substantially. Hitachi is reputedly better on blacks than some others, but you still can't get BOTH deep black AND black detail.

I would never buy any major electronic item mainly on price. Buy quality. You'll never regret it.

Grant FS

Auditioning
Thanks Elinor. It appears that for technology, that price/value on the Hitachi's is exceptional. I want value for $$, and in the end, I think Hitachi is great. That said, the new Hitachi CRT (51F510) has an auto setting for day/evening. It auto adjusts to light source. It has a great picture (confirmed by your CRT comments) It hit me yesterday that for a minimum difference of $1700 that the jump to RP LCD is very hard to justify versus. the CRT. Make up MY mind for me...LOL.
What would you do?
Thanks,
Grant

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Personally if you have the room, buy CRT. I have a Toshiba 4:3 50" RPTV for over 5years and I like it more than fixed panel displays. I can't get over how pasty and blotchy skin can look on some of them. LCD's black level is a deal killer. To be fair, I've never played/calibrated a LCD/DLP display. Cheap plasma/LCD is junk.

As for burn-in: as long as you don't watch stock/sports tickers or the weather channel it's fine. I play video games on mine an hour every couple days, watch only widescreen movies and there is no sign of burn in or uneven wear of the phosphors.

There's nothing like a well-calib CRT for now, esp for the price.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
It's without a doubt a hard decision.

My first big screen set was a Pioneer RP-CRT, 46". I calibrated it upon receipt, and periodically thereafter, with Video Essentials. I never cranked the contrast. Nevertheless, after about 5 years, there was burnin. Now, you generally can never see this except on a static display of uniform color (the blue screen when you first turn a component on) .... The image burned in was QVC price boxes/phone numbers. Yes, I leave the channel on for long periods. I disagree that a properly calibrated set will never experience burnin. The effect is cumulative.

Because of that, and the fact that my room is very bright and can't really be darkened for daytime viewing, RP-CRT was a deal breaker for me.

The black level issue was not that big a deal for me and I went with RP-LCD. I have been very happy with the set.

Like I say, RP-CRT will probably give you the best picture, and certainly the best picture per dollar, of any technology, as long as you can control the room lighting and are willing to deal with burnin issues (not leaving static images on the display, using stretch modes, etc.).

Miles M

Agent
I don't quite follow the reasoning behind the RP-CRT being more dependent on room light conditions than other types of RP sets. All these TV's will be affected by the amount of light in the room. Seems to me the worst thing for RP sets in general are the reflective protective shields.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I found it impossible to watch RP-CRT in my bright living room during the day. Not just dark shows ... anything. My RP-LCD is so much brighter, there is no problem. Neither set had/has a mirror-like reflective screen, but it could still relate to how the screen itself reflects or refracts ambient light.

There is a reason they put the RP-CRTs in the "cave" area of stores though ... haven't you noticed at Best Buy, CC, etc. RP-CRTs are always in the back in the recessed tomb, plasmas, DLPs, LCDs are in the front, out in the store lights.

StephenHa

Second Unit
the price of toshiba crt projection tv's may come down since panasonic has stopped production of theirs, and toshiba and panasonic had a joint tube manufacturing plant that is closing, could be a sign of closeouts to come

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
StephenHa,
out of curiosity, where are you getting that info? I would be very interested in an article if you have access to one.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks