DLP Questions....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Justin_Thomas, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Justin_Thomas

Justin_Thomas Auditioning

2 Questions....

1. I currently own a Samsung 47" CRT rear projection that i've had for about 4 years. I love it, but i'm bored and think it's time for an upgrade. I love Samsung and found a 61" DLP (HLR-6167W) for $2700 all said and done. Everything i've read says the best picture is from a CRT. Is this an upgrade from a pure picture standpoint? Also, Samsung makes a 56" DLP with the same resolution as the 61", does this mean that the 56" would have a better picture?

2. The top of a DLP TV is only a few inches wide... If i decide to buy the DLP, where do I put a center channel speaker??

Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated....

Justin

2. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Question 1 - Yes, a CRT will give you a "better" picture then a DLP when both are equally calibrated. However.....a DLP set will be lighter, not as rediculously large and have no fear of burn-in. A new DLP set will also have all of the inputs you will probably need for awhile. The TV's you are looking at are all 720p. So the 56" will not have a better picture then the 61". If you sit real close to the tv then maybe with a 56" you may see less screendoor but 5" really not a big deal to be honest. I would always go bigger.

Question 2 - You can buy attachments that are made to attach to the top of DLP sets that will hold a center channel. I know for sure Circuit City has one.

3. Justin_Thomas

Justin_Thomas Auditioning

Excellent... I appreciate the feedback

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The 47" Samsung RPTV from that era wasn't that hot of an image to begin with. You may not be losing much ... and will likely be gaining by going the digital route.

Regards