What's new

Question of Long Cabling/Setup (1 Viewer)

Dave Weisbord

Auditioning
Another newbie question. I am trying to set up my HT in a good sized living room, and negotiating with the wife on where things can fit. I have a nice old cabinet (a restored radio from the '30s) that I use to house my stereo components, including my new Denon AV receiver. After extensive "negotiations" there does not appear to be an acceptable place where the TV and audio cabinets can live side-by-side. In all likelihood I will need to place the audio in another part of the room, with a 25-30' cable. I presently have the DVD on top of the TV (and directly connected video to the TV).
So do I:
1. use a 30' audio coax cable from the DVD-receiver
2. use a 30' optical cable from the DVD-receiver
3. Place the DVD player with the audio equipment and run a 30' component or S-video cable to the TV.
4. Any other suggestions
5. Move into the basement where I can do anything I want!!
Thanks,
Dave

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
move in the basement and forgo the WAF. :)
i think either option will work for you. i'm not sure how much signal degredation there is in a 30' run. seems kind of long. i'm also unsure of what degrades faster...audio or video. maybe someone else will have that info.
it also depends on how you run your cabling. in my case, since i run everything through my receiver, i would put all the audio in one room then run just one video signal to the tv...less cables on the floor.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Dave K

Grip
FYI,
I just rigged up my theater room with 15 meter composite, S-video, and component cables from my equipment racks to my RPTV. The cables are BetterCables Silver Serpents and I would bet that the picture quality is as good as or better than the 2 meter Monster M1000 silver component cables I was using before. So I'd recommend the option of running long video cables...

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You want to do Option #1. This means putting the DVD player on top of the TV, using a short (4 foot) SVideo cable to the TV and a long cable from the coaxial digital output on the DVD player to the receiver in the cabinent.
Here is my thinking:
- Your eyes are more sensitive than your ears. When in doubt, protect the video signal with a short cable rather than the audio.
- The digital signals from the DVD player to the receiver are...(now say it with me) DIGITAL. These signals are much more robust than analog signals. Most office networks run digital signals 50-100 feet or more with near perfect transmission. (And they dont even use shielded coax!!)
That coaxial-digital connection requires a 75 ohm cable be used. Guess what? All video and CATV coax (RG6 and RG59) are made with 75 ohm coax. All you have to do is run down and buy some CATV coax, put "F" connectors on the end and buy 2 of the "F-to-RCA" adaptors from Radio Shack. This is often done when a computer with a DVD drive is in one room, and the receiver is in the next room. Total price for a 25 foot cable is about $12.
A slightly better solution is to order some "coax-to-RCA" plugs from www.partsexpress.com and use a crimp tool to bypass 2 connectors on each end.
Do not use a long audio cable with RCA plugs. Some audio cables are made with 50/75/110 or 300 ohm coax. If the outer-jacket does not say "75 ohm", it's a crap shoot. (An audio cable WILL appear to work, but you might get occasional audio drop-outs).
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks