What's new

Question about 5.1 (1 Viewer)

dwight_c

Auditioning
I have a older Sony STR-SE501 receiver. It is an older unit to say the least. I have my dish network DVR system and a Sony DVD/VHS hooked up to it via optical cables for audio.

When I order movies from dish network that transmit the 5.1 audio, the receiver indicates that it is receiving in the 5.1 mode. It also alows me to choose the cinema audio and shows all 5 speakers on the display.

When I watch movies on the DVD player, the receiver doesn't show that it is decoding the 5.1 audio and only the front/center speakers are on the display. The DVD menu shows that it is 5.1 audio. I tried to swap the inputs and it still doesn't work.

Do I need to buy a DVD player that has the 5.1 output and connect to my receiver via the 5.1 inputs. Or do I need a DVD player with the Dolby decoding? I can't figure out why I can't get my receiver to see the 5.1 audio.

Much thanks. Sorry for my ignorance.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you need to go into the players menu, and find a setting for the digital out. The choice will likely be PCM or Bitstream. Choose bitstream and you should be good to go.

I have a first generation Sony DVD machine, and even it can send out a Dolby bitstream through its optical or coax.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks