What's new

Need a Roku capable device with optical audio out (1 Viewer)

rbstern

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich Stern
This isn't my primary home theater. It's a secondary setup in a home office/workshop. It's set up as a relatively "old tech" 5.1 home theater.

This was the setup as of a week ago: Older, pre-hdmi Kenwood 5.1 receiver, DISH Network Hopper, Optoma projector. Steaming services used via DISH Hopper interface. Optoma gets HDMI direct from DISH box. Kenwood gets audio via optical audio cable from DISH box.

Lightning strike killed DISH Network Hopper last Wednesday, and I've decided to cancel my DISH subscription.

I need a streaming solution that provides HDMI direct to the Optoma projector, and optical audio out to the Kenwood 5.1 receiover. We've adopted Roku in our home theater, and have two other Roku TVs in the house. The family likes Roku.

Problem is, none of the new Rokus provide optical output. I've got nowhere to put HDMI input into the Kenwood.

Choices:

1) Retire the Kenwood receiver (seems like a waste) and get a modern 5.1 receiver. Have had it for 20+ years, and always liked it.

2) Try to find an older Roku with digital audio out. Have no idea if I'm giving up Roku software compatability with newer channels.

3) Look for some other device that has Roku + HDMI + digital audio out. Blu Ray players come to mind, but can't find any that have Roku, rather than propietary streaming software.

Any input appreciated.

rbstern

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich Stern
Answered my own question: A little bit more research indicates there are many HDMI audio extractor/splitter devices on the market.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sounds like you live at my house: An older ARV I loved and a family that loves Roku. I’ve used a few of these HDMI extractor devices, including a professional-grade model from Crestron. While they do break out a digital audio signal, Dolby Digital 5.1 processing is lost as it is downgraded to 2.0. Thus, I had to bite the bullet and upgrade to an HDMI receiver.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

rbstern

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich Stern
Thanks, Wayne.

This system isn't for critical listening, so the loss of Dolby Digital isn't a deal breaker for me.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The original Roku Ultra had an optical output -- I think I still have mine packed in its box somewhere (I upgraded to the newer model) for Dolby Vision support). You may be able to find one on eBay.

rbstern

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich Stern
The original Roku Ultra had an optical output -- I think I still have mine packed in its box somewhere (I upgraded to the newer model) for Dolby Vision support). You may be able to find one on eBay.

Scott, thanks for suggesting it. My big concern would be software updates / new channel incompatability. From what I read since posting this thread, it's an issue, and was the basis for Roku's trade-in campaign a couple of years back.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My TCL 55S535 Roku TV has an optical audio out. It was only $450 when I bought it a year ago. Sadly the price has jumped since then.

millergdl

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
This isn't my primary home theater. It's a secondary setup in a home office/workshop. It's set up as a relatively "old tech" 5.1 home theater.

This was the setup as of a week ago: Older, pre-hdmi Kenwood 5.1 receiver, DISH Network Hopper, Optoma projector. Steaming services used via DISH Hopper interface. Optoma gets HDMI direct from DISH box. Kenwood gets audio via optical audio cable from DISH box.

Lightning strike killed DISH Network Hopper last Wednesday, and I've decided to cancel my DISH subscription.

I need a streaming solution that provides HDMI direct to the Optoma projector, and optical audio out to the Kenwood 5.1 receiover. We've adopted Roku in our home theater, and have two other Roku TVs in the house. The family likes Roku.

Problem is, none of the new Rokus provide optical output. I've got nowhere to put HDMI input into the Kenwood.

Choices:

1) Retire the Kenwood receiver (seems like a waste) and get a modern 5.1 receiver. Have had it for 20+ years, and always liked it.

2) Try to find an older Roku with digital audio out. Have no idea if I'm giving up Roku software compatability with newer channels.

3) Look for some other device that has Roku + HDMI + digital audio out. Blu Ray players come to mind, but can't find any that have Roku, rather than propietary streaming software.

Any input appreciated.
Roku has a Streambar model that includes an optical out

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks