What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ The Menu – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ever go out for a meal with friends, and something occurs that prompts a less than pleasant retort to the wait staff, or a comment sent to the chef?

If so, there's always that chance that someone in your group is going to warn you about the waiter or whomever "spitting in your food."

This is worse.

Much worse.

In the case the chef in question - at a VERY special venue on Hawthorne island just offshore traveled by boat - is played by Ralph Fiennes, doing his best Gordon Ramsay, with an attentive staff shouting "Yes, Chef!"

Having been a diner on one of Mr. Ramsay's shows, I can attest to the attentiveness and shouting.

You'll find that requisite group of diners - Nicholas Hoult, Janet McTeer, John Leguizamo, Judith Light et al, with a single outlier, in this case Anya Taylor-Joy.

While there's a bit of background to be discovered as to the why of the gathering, suffice to say that this could have been the third in the ongoing series of "onion" films.

The fun here is watching the group of extremely wealthy diners squirm as the tale unfolds, and they begin to understand why they've been invited to the exclusive gathering.

As a Blu-ray, the Searchlight film via Fox via Disney is a gorgeous affair. It's yet another of those shot and finished in 4k productions that looks fully 4k on Blu-ray in projection (at a nominal seating distance).

For those into cooking shows, this is Hell's Kitchen - for real.

Image – 5

Audio – 4 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works in projection - Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Beautifully

Highly Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another film that I'm not in love with which appears to be a minority opinion. Anyhow, I'm going to buy the 4K/Dolby Vision digital once it lowers to my price point and give this movie another chance.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Another film that I'm not in love with which appears to be a minority opinion. Anyhow, I'm going to buy the 4K/Dolby Vision digital once it lowers to my price point and give this movie another chance.
I didn’t much care for this film either. The actions (or lack thereof) by the customers I thought were highly questionable.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Loved it. Like Robert I’ll wait for a price reduction on the 4K digital.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I preferred this to the similarly themed and overrated Triangle of Sadness. I did feel The Menu falls apart a bit at the end, though.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
In satire, people may not behave rationally. This is satire close enough to the truth to sting. Good flick.

billO'

Stunt Coordinator
Made it into my top ten list of 2022, not sure about top 5, though (lots of excellent films this year).

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Very much enjoyed The Menu. Apparently, the film also has tremendous appeal to chefs - who identify with the Ralph Fiennes character, and enjoy watching the diners getting their comeuppances!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks